Voice Recognition Software

Victor Delta

Does anyone know where I can obtain some freeware Voice Recognition software
for a friend who cannot type at present.

Thanks.

Victor Delta

Susan Bugher

Victor said:
Believe me, I have tried many Google searches before creating this post.
Despite many promising looking entries, most turn out to be not freeware
after all, or text to voice systems or very simple applications for only say
controlling internet explorer etc.

I am looking for something which would allow some basic text entry to a WP
programme.

See this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/old/sdk40a.asp

For related infomation search the ACF archives (via Google) for a recent
(August 2005) discussion titled: Freeware Voice Recognition Software?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

FTR

Susan said:
See this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/old/sdk40a.asp

For related infomation search the ACF archives (via Google) for a recent
(August 2005) discussion titled: Freeware Voice Recognition Software?

Susan

I looked into that issue, and then decided to buy a Dragon Naturally
Speaking during a promotion. Voice recognition seems to be an issue
which still needs some development which cant' be done by voluntary
developers, I guess

Frank

CJ Jones

FTR said:
I looked into that issue, and then decided to buy a Dragon Naturally
Speaking during a promotion. Voice recognition seems to be an issue
which still needs some development which cant' be done by voluntary
developers, I guess

Frank

I know it's not freeware, but I too use Dragon. I bought an older
version, (a full year ago), and it's just perfect for when I can't type.
(disabled hands ..so often)

CJ

Michel Firholz

FTR said:
I looked into that issue, and then decided to buy a Dragon Naturally
Speaking during a promotion. Voice recognition seems to be an issue which
still needs some development which cant' be done by voluntary developers,
I guess
Hi do you sa voucher cognition free where 2 thai psys mess age.
it severly good pro gramme.

....but, believe me chaps, it is worth to spend a few bucks in an older
version of Dragon!.
You can get it for only some bucks on Ebay.

John Corliss

FTR said:
I looked into that issue, and then decided to buy a Dragon Naturally
Speaking during a promotion. Voice recognition seems to be an issue
which still needs some development which cant' be done by voluntary
developers, I guess

But why are you recommending $ware in this freeware newsgroup? Please
try to stay on topic. If you don't have a freeware program to recommend,
it's better to simply say nothing. Somebody else may have a
recommendation or, as you mention there simply may not *be* a good
freeware choice.

--
Regards from John Corliss
My current killfile: aafuss, Chrissy Cruiser, Slowhand Hussein, BEN

FTR

John said:
But why are you recommending $ware in this freeware newsgroup? Please
try to stay on topic. If you don't have a freeware program to recommend,
it's better to simply say nothing. Somebody else may have a
recommendation or, as you mention there simply may not *be* a good
freeware choice.

In a MS oriented NG I clearly voice a critique if I find Bill's products
not sufficiently mature, as in a freeware group. It's a question of
honesty.

I just confirmed the impression the poster got after unsucessfully
googling: Today, free voice regocnition software is not sufficiently
mature to use it in everyday work. This is a question of self-help among
the news group posters.

And I think it's a good thing to support freeware in this software world
where cut-throat competition, deliberately hindering cooperation, and
monopolising markets are all the master words of leading players. That
is, intentionally limiting free competition. So, this is in favour of
freeware. But I don't intend to close my eyes and want to judge the
advantages BUT also the disadvantes - if they exist - of freeware products.

BTW: this email is written using Thunderbird.

I hope this explains well enough what I intended with my post :
furthering freeware, with eyes wide open.

Frank

Glenn

John Corliss said:
But why are you recommending $ware in this freeware newsgroup? Please
try to stay on topic. If you don't have a freeware program to
recommend, it's better to simply say nothing. Somebody else may have a
recommendation or, as you mention there simply may not *be* a good
freeware choice.

I understand where you are coming from but in a case like this, I disagree
with you. The person wanted a particular program and there seems to be few
of them, with the $$$ ones working the best. The helping poster was merely
pointing out a program that comes closer than any free ones, at least in his
opinion.

John Corliss

FTR said:
[...]

I understand what you're saying but still, recommending commercial
software in this group is totally off topic. You could simply for
instance, have said that in your opinion there is no good freeware voice
recognition software and left it at that. Then the OP could have made a
decision whether or not to start looking into $ware.

--

Glenn said:
I understand where you are coming from but in a case like this, I
disagree with you. The person wanted a particular program and there
seems to be few of them, with the $$$ ones working the best. The
helping poster was merely pointing out a program that comes closer than
any free ones, at least in his opinion.

This is a very old argument in this group and your reasoning has been
hashed over many, many times. The vast majority of ACF participants
agree that recommending commercial software in this group is a very bad
idea because it will decrease the usefulness of this group. If people
come here looking for a freeware solution to a problem, that's what
they're looking for... NOT recommendations of $ware.

As I said to FTR, all that needs to be said is that in your opinion,
there is no good freeware solution for a probem. Anybody with even
modest experience in computing is going to be able to find a commercial
software solution to a given need, assuming one exists. In this case,
there are such $wares and I'm sure the OP would have no trouble in
locating one.

Staying on topic is probably the most fundamental usenet guideline.

--

John Corliss said:
This is a very old argument in this group and your reasoning has been
hashed over many, many times. The vast majority of ACF participants
agree that recommending commercial software in this group is a very
bad idea because it will decrease the usefulness of this group. If
people come here looking for a freeware solution to a problem, that's
what they're looking for... NOT recommendations of $ware.

OK, I am wrong but he was looking for HELP. If a person falls on the
sidewalk in front of my house, I would help him too. I wonder if "The vast
majority of ACF participants" would. Somehow I doubt it.

Michel Firholz

Glenn said:
OK, I am wrong but he was looking for HELP. If a person falls on the
sidewalk in front of my house, I would help him too. I wonder if "The
vast majority of ACF participants" would. Somehow I doubt it.

That analogy is apples and oranges I'm afraid.