Windows Vista Vista SP1 release ... update ... is out now!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sure. Here you go: File Front

Creative have now reinstated that link at their Forum so it's quite ok for me to supply the link now :)

You'll have to click on each one and read the short description to see which one you need.

And if there's a Console Launcher available for your card at Creative's site, download that as well.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps, it's only a suggestion (which I'm sure you'll have checked anyway) but I had "hidden" an update a few weeks ago, which I (misguidedly) thought didn't apply to my system..... of course, it did! :rolleyes: It was an NVidia network driver. Anyway, as soon as it had downloaded, Vista SP1 was offered.

This was the bit I found to be helpful - again, apologies if you've read it :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Cheers Flops.

Do I download the one thats right for my card?

Thanks,

wiz

I added to my last post I'm afraid, with this bit:

You'll have to click on each one and read the short description to see which one you need.

And if there's a Console Launcher available for your card at Creative's site, download that as well.

Thanks TC, I'll look into that but I once had a nasty experience with a hardware driver supplied by Microsoft so I've never taken their updates since, I get drivers and updates straight from the manufacturer/supplier.

I do notice MS wants to load a RAID driver for the board's second RAID chipset, that may be it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Ok thanks,

So I only download one pack then?

wiz

That's all I done. And, as mentioned, the console launcher from Creative for my X-Fi Audio Extreme.

Which Sound Card do you have?

Reaction score
Hello Flopps,

Thanks for the reply.

This is the sound card Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer.

Thnaks,

wizkid

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wizkid:

That guy hasn't written a driver for your card because you shouldn't be having problems using it with Vista.

He made drivers for older cards like the Soundblaster, Audigy and my 'X-Fi' Audio.

Creative issued some new official drivers a week or so ago. Go to their site and download/install those.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
It was an NVidia network driver. Anyway, as soon as it had downloaded, Vista SP1 was offered.

Am I a bit thick cos I still can't work this out. :(

Vista SP1 has not appeared for me as an update yet and reading through TC's link it would appear that it is not available from Windows Update and not offered by Automatic Updates !?? As it happens I don't use Automatic Updates anyway.

So just where do I get it from?

TC, you say that an NVidia update was offered but from where? And as soon as you downloaded it Vista SP1 was offered, again from where? That sounds very automatic to me.

I got the feeling that the only place to get SP1 was from Microsoft itself. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Reaction score
nivrip said:

Vista SP1 has not appeared for me as an update yet and reading through TC's link it would appear that it is not available from Windows Update and not offered by Automatic Updates !?? As it happens I don't use Automatic Updates anyway.

TC, you say that an NVidia update was offered but from where? And as soon as you downloaded it Vista SP1 was offered, again from where? That sounds very automatic to me.

I got the feeling that the only place to get SP1 was from Microsoft itself. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Here you are, you must have stopped the update as it will be done automatic:wall:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do have automatic updates turned on and SP1 never came to me.

It probably spotted a driver or device it wasn't too sure about, is all I can imagine.

Anyhow, I downloaded it last night from Microsoft's site Here and installed it a couple of hours ago.

Well, nothing's gone into meltdown yet in fact if anything it seems a little nippier than it was.

It took twenty minutes to install.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
nivrip said:

Niv, yes, just to clarify, I do have automatic updates turned on. When I found that SP1 wasn't being offered, one of the things I checked, was to see whether I had failed to install something that Vista wanted.

I clicked on Windows Update, from the Start Menu, then had a look at what came up. Sometimes this window will have something which says "Windows is up to date" but just below that, it might say "Available: 2 optional updates."

Assuming that it does not show any other available updates, you can also check the choices in the left-hand panel, same window, where you can either view your update history (just in case something has failed to install properly) or even "Restore hidden updates" ... this is for when you have deliberately clicked to "hide" an offered, but non important update (actually, this is exactly what I had done.) Once installed, Vista SP1 was automatically downloaded, via auto updates.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the input itsme,flops and TC. :thumb:

I took the plunge and downloaded from the MS site. That took about 20+ minutes but the actual installation took another 40 minutes. :eek:

Still, it's all there now and hopefully there will be no problems. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I dunno how I missed this, but ...

While we're beginning automatic distribution today, you might not see it right away since the distribution process is very gradual. As I called out on April 7th, we'll be distributing the service pack slowly so that we can help Windows users have a good experience.
... here's the funny bit, the date ... 23 April, 2008.

laughingsmiley.gif

So, the "official" release date you MAY get SP1 started yesterday. :wave:

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh bugger, wish I'd waited now, it would have been interesting to see if I got it automatically.

Oh well, tis done now.

Ask a Question