VISTA IS A CRIME TO HUMANITY! And here is why>

carl feredeck

Yes, I know that of course, but that should be the default... and my
message to MS is that they should change that in SP1!

There are people who barley know how to turn on and off the pc... they
probably don't even can a clue about what I am talking about.

The default option is MS's decision.. it was not like that in XP.. xp did
not have "sleep" but it did have hibernation and a standby mode...

the power button turned the pc off though!

Val

Obviously, you've not looked into how Sleep works in Vista.

It's default is to write the memory image to disk, as in Hibernation, then go into Standby (as you're familiar with it). After a period of non use, it then shuts down to a full Hibernation. Look it up yourself.

As to how much power a machine uses in Standby -thats up to the hardware guys. I have PCs that go down to 2 watts usage in standby, others that stay at 40 watts. These are running the same OS (XP Pro) and similarly configured.

Take chill pill!

Just another reason why Vista is badly designed crap and here is more proof.

Can you say global warming? The Vista OS made SLEEP mode the STANDARD way to turn off the computer when you press the off button on
the start menu. They also hid the HIBERNATION feature! You can enable hibernation ONLY if you do a tweak!

<<big ole snip of crap>>

The poster formerly known as Nina DiBoy

carl said:
Yes, I know that of course, but that should be the default... and my
message to MS is that they should change that in SP1!

There are people who barley know how to turn on and off the pc... they
probably don't even can a clue about what I am talking about.

The default option is MS's decision.. it was not like that in XP.. xp did
not have "sleep" but it did have hibernation and a standby mode...

the power button turned the pc off though!

Agreed! That would be on of the many, many things that should be
improved in Vista!

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

"Only religious fanatics and totalitarian states equate morality with
legality."
- Linus Torvalds

Andy [Ex-MSFT]

Ah, dude stop talking you know the energy it costs the world to send 1
newsgroup message?! Stop using the Internet, you're killing thousands of
Hybrid vehicle drivers every time you do!

Can you imagine what would happen if this thread got "blogged"? GLOBAL
WARMING!

While you're at it you better stop farting Mr. Green House.

-A.

I hope this post gets into some blog so people can see
what you replied...
One word describes you: Ignorant!

Andy [Ex-MSFT]

carl feredeck said:
Yes, I know that of course, but that should be the default... and my
message to MS is that they should change that in SP1!

There are people who barley know how to turn on and off the pc... they
probably don't even can a clue about what I am talking about.

The default option is MS's decision.. it was not like that in XP.. xp did
not have "sleep" but it did have hibernation and a standby mode...

the power button turned the pc off though!

It's "barely" dude. Barley is what they put into beer, which I think you've
been drinking too much of.

My Windows XP had sleep, and that's what I use for my Vista box, mainly
because my phone system runs through Vista and my computer has to wake up
and sleep (quickly) to answer the phone and record my TV programs.

-A.

Mike Hall - MVP

Main computer? You have others running too? Is that necessary? How about you
turn all yours off and give somebody else a chance..

carl feredeck said:
I dont use a TV.... when the last one broke, I never replaced it,
A TV set to me is prehistoric technolgy!
I dont use a home DVD player, nor a stereo...
I do have those machines, but they are in storage.. I dont use them and
will never buy new ones.

I do everything from my main computer..
I use a tv tuner card that functions as a tv..
The computer is also the dvd player and sound system.
And yes.. everything does turn off with a main switch.. even ths speakers
turn off.
Not that I watch tv much.. but anyway.. if I need it, its there.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Andy [Ex-MSFT]

Gary said:
What a Moron.
Did you ever notice that when you press that on off button on your
computer it doesn't shut off the power to your power supply it just sends
a signal to it to go into a low power mode. Your power supply is still ON!
The only way to shut it off is the on off switch on the power supply or
unplug it.

How about all those vampire power supplies you have plugged in?

What's really a crime here is someone is using HTML in a Usenet Newsgroup.
The added HTML code alone is enough to kill 2 baby seals every 20 seconds
for a week.

Bill Yanaire

You don't use a TV... Probably because you can't figure it out. You don't
use a home DVD player or a stereo. Same reason, you probably are confused
by the blinking 12:00 on the display !

They are probably in storage in your mamas garage because she doesn't want
you to be in the house. She probably wants you to go to Wal-Mart or
Taco-Bell and fill out an application for a job!

Frank

Andy said:
What's really a crime here is someone is using HTML in a Usenet
Newsgroup. The added HTML code alone is enough to kill 2 baby seals
every 20 seconds for a week.

That's funny! :)
Frank

Ben Phillips

Just calm down buddy.
I've being reading a lot of these opinions and I feel a few things may be wrong with Vista but they not trying to destroy our planet. Hell that wouldn't help them. Why don't you just shut down the computer( click your mouse once more, fix it, or is that too energy draining). Find some friends, there is a reason why most people buy Microsoft OS's.
Just another reason why Vista is badly designed crap and here is more proof.

Can you say global warming? The Vista OS made SLEEP mode the STANDARD way to turn off the computer when you press the off button on
the start menu. They also hid the HIBERNATION feature! You can enable hibernation ONLY if you do a tweak!

Sleep mode NEVER turns off the pc completely.. the power supply and other circuits keep DRAINING watts of energy for no real reason.
The BEST way was to use hibernation that saves the files you are working on and REALLY turns off the PC.

For example I tried sleep mode on my desktop.. in disgust I saw that the power supply was still running, fans rotating, and making noise!

WHAT IS MICROSOFT THINKING?????

From the MS site I give you this: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/w...006/12/08/windows-vista-power-management.aspx

"Everyone knows that turning a TV off doesn't really turn it off. It is still available to receive the remote control signal, etc. so that it can come back on quickly. We wanted to emulate this for Windows Vista machines."

They DARE say that they are doing this to CONSERVE POWER?????? WHAT CRAP!!!!

MS does not want to conserve energy. They wanted to give an "ease of use to vista" so they can sell more, its all about marketing... and didn't care skit about ecology!

Sleep mode in vista makes your computer just another ENERGY SUCKING machine in "STANDBY MODE"

You may chuckle and say how much energy can a standby machine drain? THE FACTS ARE WORSE THAN YOU THINK!

See here:
http://www.powerint.com/greenroom/faqs.htm
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/10-26/vampire-power-electricity-article.htm

"Even though home electronics aren't typically the biggest electricity users in a house, vampire power can still cost you up to 10% of your electric bill. Estimates of the cost to consumers and businesses for all the electricity lost to vampire power in the US range from $1 billion to $3.5 billion annually".

Now 5 - 10 % of the bill, means 5 - 10% of the energy, and that means 5 -10 out of 100 power stations are working full time burning fossil fuel just for these "Vampire machines"
while they sit sleeping, doing NOTHING!

Now it wasn't enough that we had VCRs dvdplayers TVs and other crap draining the energy without doing anything...

NOW with VISTA MICROSOFT JUST ADDED HEAT TO THE PROBLEM (pun intentional) by adding MILLIONS of computers in standby mode!!! THIS IS A CRIME TO HUMANITY!

Microsoft should FIX THIS right away with SP1 making hibernation available in the menu again, making sleep NON DEFAULT and educating the public about energy conservation

Here is an interesting page I found when writing this:
http://www.exoid.com/?page_id=47

I don't know if ANYONE can say anything against what I am saying above. The earth is not doing well.. its heating up too fast.. far sooner that what they thought.

If you mock me you are probably a blind vista follower... eating whatever they give you without using your brain!
I know many people like this here in this newsgroup... they will probably reply to this post saying something stupid!

Bill Yanaire

Why because you can't aford beef and milk? You real busy with being the
Ubuntu Marketing Department?

Alias said:
"Andy [Ex-MSFT]" nailed it!
While you're at it you better stop farting Mr. Green House.

ROFLMAO

Cow and steer farting is a green house problem so you better stop eating
beef and stop consuming milk products. I already did.

Alias

Frank

Bill said:
Why because you can't aford beef and milk? You real busy with being the
Ubuntu Marketing Department?

"Andy [Ex-MSFT]" nailed it!

While you're at it you better stop farting Mr. Green House.

ROFLMAO

Cow and steer farting is a green house problem so you better stop eating
beef and stop consuming milk products. I already did.

Alias
Yeah, unbuntu marketing doesn't pay much cause the product is free.
Frank

Rich

"carl feredeck" Just another reason why Vista is badly designed crap and here is more proof.
Can you say global warming?

Can you say JUNK SCIENCE? ;)

the last refuge of those that have NO argument against their POP culture "enemies" is ....

Get this ...

Ready? :)

Blame bad weather on 'em heh!

oh brother