Vista activation error

Rick Lipkin

To All

Just downloaded my Volume license of Vista Business from MSDN. Loaded the OS
successfully .. but unlike RC1,2 the install did not prompt me for a product
key.

Once the OS generated .. there was a 'default' Product ID. I clicked on
"activate Windows Now" .. and I get an activation error:

Code 0x8007232b
DNS Name does not exist

I do have 3 days till the OS tries to phone home .. just thought I would ask
if anyone has run into this with RTM.. I do have a valid VLP and tried to
change the Product ID .. but again failed.

Any ideas ??

Rick Lipkin

Tom Ziegmann

Are you able to access the internet? If you still can access the internet
and not activate, do a phone activation and then call your Volume License
Rep for support on the issue.

--
Tom Ziegmann
Microsoft Certified Professional

*Feel free to contact me via e-mail if you
have an urgent issue, otherwise please use
the newsgroups*

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

So where did you get your Volume License product key?
The Windows Vista volume media installs with a generic PID.
You are required to have a KMS server installed to activate against( when
you have 25 clients or more) or to use your Volume License MAK key that you
get from your VL program.
You are getting the error message since you using the generic volume key
which has to be changed.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Rick Lipkin" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Vista activation error
<Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:59:01 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
<To All
<
[...]

Our purchasing folks were able to get to the Volume Licensing web site today
and genetrate a MAK .. that worked just fine. One thing I will mention is
that once you get your MAK .. you have to go to change your product key and
type in your new PID ..

Rick Lipkin