Windows activation Error

Rick Lipkin

To All

Just downloaded my Volume license of Vista Business from MSDN. Loaded the OS
successfully .. but unlike RC1,2 the install did not prompt me for a product
key.

Once the OS generated .. there was a 'default' Product ID. I clicked on
"activate Windows Now" .. and I get an activation error:

Code 0x8007232b
DNS Name does not exist

I do have 3 days till the OS tries to phone home .. just thought I would ask
if anyone has run into this with RTM.. I do have a valid VLP and tried to
change the Product ID .. but again failed.

Any ideas ??

Rick Lipkin

Carey Frisch [MVP]

I just checked the MSDN subscriber web site and
Windows Vista RTM is not available until Nov. 17th.

Which Vista build number are you referring to?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rick Lipkin" wrote:

| To All
|
| Just downloaded my Volume license of Vista Business from MSDN. Loaded the OS
| successfully .. but unlike RC1,2 the install did not prompt me for a product
| key.
|
| Once the OS generated .. there was a 'default' Product ID. I clicked on
| "activate Windows Now" .. and I get an activation error:
|
| Code 0x8007232b
| DNS Name does not exist
|
| I do have 3 days till the OS tries to phone home .. just thought I would ask
| if anyone has run into this with RTM.. I do have a valid VLP and tried to
| change the Product ID .. but again failed.
|
| Any ideas ??
|
| Rick Lipkin

Rick Lipkin

Carey

This is Vista Business ver 6000 .. just downloaded from MSDN from out Volume
License login account... I have screen shots but they are too large and will
not post to this NG. You can send me a personal e-mail at
(e-mail address removed) and I can send you the screen shots.

Rick Lipkin

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rick,
So where did you get your Volume License product key?
The Windows Vista volume media installs with a generic PID.
You are required to have a KMS server installed to activate against( when
you have 25 clients or more) or to use your Volume License MAK key that you
get from your VL program.
You are getting the error message since you using the generic volume key
which has to be changed.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Rick Lipkin" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Windows activation Error
<Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:06:46 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<To All
<
[...]

I work for Dept of Health in South Carolina .. I am one of the Senior
technical staff employees in charge of testing Vista in our environment. Our
Business Management purchasing Agent who has access to our Corporate account
downloaded the IMG this afternoon and gave me the KMS ( which I and him .
..had no clue as to what it was ).

With WinXP .. we generally buy OEM ( Dell's and Gateway's of the world ) and
re-format the OS from our VLK. We have found that the OEM's put a lot of
un-wanted 'stuff' in their images and we just prefer to re-load our OS from
scratch.

Since I know no different .. I loaded this OS ( Vista Business ) to one of
my test boxes here at work... So if I read your second link peoperly .. we
need to set up a KMS box in our environment for activation ??

Thanks
Rick Lipkin

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Rick,
So where did you get your Volume License product key?
The Windows Vista volume media installs with a generic PID.
You are required to have a KMS server installed to activate against( when
you have 25 clients or more) or to use your Volume License MAK key that
you
get from your VL program.
You are getting the error message since you using the generic volume key
which has to be changed.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Rick Lipkin" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:06:46 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<To All
<
[...]

Either set a KMS server which can be a Windows Vista machines or request a
MAK product key.
The KMS machine will need 25 Vista clients to communicate to it before the
Windows Vista clients will activate.
the information in the links below explain your options.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Rick Lipkin" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Windows activation Error
<Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:08:11 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Darrell
<
[...]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> <From: "Rick Lipkin" <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:06:46 -0500
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<> <
<> <To All
<> <
[...]

Got my MAK today from the Volume licensing site .. it should now be there.

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA