Activation Error

I am trying to activate Vista and get an error message. The error code is
0x8007232B
DNS name does not exist.
Any thoughts on what to do?

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Are you using a volume license key? If it is a MAK or KMS issue you need to
contact your system or network admin.

If it's a retail key, then you need to choose the phone activation method.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rick,
You should never see that error message with Retail Activation only with
Volume Activation.
With the generic VL key that is used with setup, the expectation is that
you will do one of two things.
1) Change to MAK key
2) Connect to KMS Server
The generic VL key looks for a DNS entry to help locate the KMS Server. If
there is not KMS server or the KMS server is unreachable, or the DNS server
does not have the KMS address then we get may get that error message.
Retail Activation doesn't look at DNS for the KMS server location so it
should never generate that error code:

Article that talks about the error message.
929826 Error message when you try to activate Windows Vista Enterprise or
Windows Vista Business: "Code 0x8007232b"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929826

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rick Rogers" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Activation Error
|>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:49:28 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Hi,
|>
|>Are you using a volume license key? If it is a MAK or KMS issue you need
|>contact your system or network admin.
|>
|>If it's a retail key, then you need to choose the phone activation method.
|>
|>--
|>Best of Luck,
|>
|>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
|>
|>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

|>> 0x8007232B
|>> DNS name does not exist.
|>> Any thoughts on what to do?

Rick Rogers

I suspected as much, Darrell, but assume nothing and was going to wait for
JP to confirm what I was thinking. The info you've added is probably exactly
what he/she needs.