Activation Error

Paul

Trying to activate Vista Business and get a WIndows Activation Error -
0x8007232B - DNS Name Does Not Exist.

I have internet access and have activated Office 2007 from the same network.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Rick Rogers

Hi Paul,

Are you using a MAK or KMS key? The latter requires an activation server and
at least 25 machines to be activated, otherwise you should be using a MAK
key.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rich

Had exactly the same problem - on the screen that says x days left to
active, click the option to enter a different code. Put in the same code
you already have and see if that works. I did it for our volume license and
it happily activated.

HTH

Paul

Thanks for your help. Re-entering my VLK worked.

Rich said:
Had exactly the same problem - on the screen that says x days left to
active, click the option to enter a different code. Put in the same code
you already have and see if that works. I did it for our volume license
and it happily activated.

HTH

Beck

Paul said:
Thanks for your help. Re-entering my VLK worked.

I thought they might have fixed this bug. I reported it with RC2 that the
key was not activating unless you re-enter the exact same key. This
obviously was not happening to everyone, but I had the issue 3 times.

Rich

Glad it worked - thanks for feeding back!! Unbelievable MS haven't sorted
this bug with RTM!!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This is not a bug in the code. The OS is working as designed. ( the
message could be better, this is a configuration problem)
THere are two possible causes for this issue.
1) Volume license media ships with a Generic Volume License key so one
isn't entered during setup. Most people then try to run the activation
wizard. Since the generic volume license key only looks for a KMS server
and most people have not set one up yet, DNS isn't publishing your KMS
address to a KMS server cannot be located.
2) If a KMS server is setup, using a KMS product key, then there could be
network issues reaching the KMS server or the DNS server isn't taking the
KMS registrations. So DNS Is not publishing or reaching the client
machines. Proxy configuration issues are common with this issue.

So which Volume License key did you enter? Did you enter a MAK key or a
KMS key? There is a big difference in what this means when activating.
Did you read the volume license information that was available?

929712 Volume Activation information for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929712

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Rich" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Activation Error
|>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:26:15 -0000
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Glad it worked - thanks for feeding back!! Unbelievable MS haven't
sorted
|>this bug with RTM!!

Rich

Hi Darrell

Thanks for feeding back.

I entered our Corporate MAK code. At least we know what to do next time.

Even if this isn't a bug, you are right, it really REALLY could have been
worded better!! :0)

Cheers

Rich