"Video Codecs" missing from Device Manager!

Tim.T

While trying to figure out how to remove some troublesome and possibly
hacked video codecs from my system, I went into Safe Mode and removed the
"Video Codecs" category from Device Manager. I then rebooted, thinking the
category would be reinstated. It wasn't. The initial problem I was having
has been solved, but even though I have installed the latest DivX 5.11
codec, the video codecs category is still absent from Device Manager. I try
scanning for hardware changes but it does nothing. I don't know what to do.

Is there a way to get the category back?

Cheers
Tim

Carrie Garth

| "Tim.T" <jblack 2001 at btopenworld dot com>
| wrote in message | <SNIP> I went into Safe Mode and removed the "Video Codecs" category
| from Device Manager. I then rebooted, thinking the category would be
| reinstated. It wasn't. The initial problem I was having has been
| solved, but even though I have installed the latest DivX 5.11 codec,
| the video codecs category is still absent from Device Manager. I try
| scanning for hardware changes but it does nothing. I don't know what
| to do. Is there a way to get the category back?

According to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, "you can
only reinstall multimedia codecs using the Add/Remove Hardware
wizard". And while I cannot find an article specific to WinXP, I did
verify that that Video Codec is a choice in the Add/Remove Hardware
applet on my WinXP Pro system. So, you may want to follow the
procedure in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article. Note:
The steps will be slightly different. For example, the WinXP Add
Hardware Wizard will ask if you have already connected the hardware
answer. Just answer Yes.

KB254354 - Reinstalling Audio Codecs or Media Control Devices in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=254354