Video card over heating or Processor?

Reaction score
how can u tell which is over heating cuz when i was playing a game the graphic suddenly dimished. i saw that my processor was around 118 degress F. i thought it was my video card at first but now i'm not sure

Reaction score
What are the specs of your pc including operating system?
Also what game are you running when you have the problem?

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You asked this question ... 118 ain't hot for a CPU

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=8299556#post8299556

please stick with the one thread unless it is another problem.

:thumb:

oh that thread was based on my video card over heating, but now i'm not sure. there basic process goes like this

first, i'll be playing the game then all of a sudden, there whole frame rate lessons

second i'll look in front of my computer and it'll say the temperture which is directly connected to there processor.

then, if i keep play the computer just restarts on its own.

first i thought it was the video card becuz of there FRS(Frame rates per second) then when its starts to restart on its own as the heat of the processor increased i'm not sure wut is overheating, perhaps both.

Reaction score
feckit said:
What are the specs of your pc including operating system?
Also what game are you running when you have the problem?

well i happens often in games like world of warcraft, battlefield 2 but this time i was playing civilization IV, i know, its not a a high graphics game but one ur deep into it more and more graphics are being used.

as oppose to specs i'm running a 2.8 gig intel processor, 1gig of ram. and radeonx800.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your CPU and your Video card are COOL and running within normal guidelines.
You seem to be under some misapprehension that your PC is running hot ... if those figures are correct, this is not your problem.

I'm sorry but in my personal opinion ATI cannot make a 'games' video card and less likely to ever make 'drivers' that work out of the box. ;)

Now I do know there are a lot of people out there that use them ... I seem to have seen most of their 'problems' before.

Look for updated drivers for both the game and your PC

What make model is the PC?

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Your CPU and your Video card are COOL and running within normal guidelines.
You seem to be under some misapprehension that your PC is running hot ... if those figures are correct, this is not your problem.

I'm sorry but in my personal opinion ATI cannot make a 'games' video card and less likely to ever make 'drivers' that work out of the box. ;)

What make model is the PC?

i don't quite understand wut u mean. perhaps i am under a misapprehension of wut the true problem is, but i can't seems to conclude anything else.

"You seem to be under some misapprehension that your PC is running hot ... if those figures are correct, this is not your problem."

they are connected but when the FPS of the game drops severely i assume its the video card (which there is a artic cooler i am planning to get) but why the computer its self restarts i have no idea.

u asked wut wut model my PC was, i'm not really sure wut that means, sorry:/

I appologize for my ranting and lack of comprehension on the matter, its just it gets really annoying when the u have to restart ur computer or the computer restarts by itself in the middle of a serious game and no one i talk to seems to know wuts up.

Reaction score
Could it be anything else like the questionable foxxcon mother board i have or incompatiblity of certain parts?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
questionable foxxcon
You may just have hit the nail on the head. :thumb:

You do NOT have an overheating problem ... but add as may fans as you like, it will not help.

u asked wut wut model my PC was, i'm not really sure wut that means, sorry:/
Does it say ... Dell or any other brand name on it?

I appologize for my ranting and lack of comprehension on the matter, its just it gets really annoying when the u have to restart ur computer or the computer restarts by itself in the middle of a serious game and no one i talk to seems to know wuts up.
Apology accepted LoL ... but we really needed to know more about the PC.

Forget all about games for the moment, they can be a bugger to run even on a real games machine.

Lets go back as to why is it crashing ... if you do not have a stable PC then forget about playing games.

Explain how your PC crashes ... do you see any BSOD (blue screen of death) with any error messages?

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You may just have hit the nail on the head. :thumb:

You do NOT have an overheating problem ... but add as may fans as you like, it will not help.

Does it say ... Dell or any other brand name on it?

Apology accepted LoL ... but we really needed to know more about the PC.

Forget all about games for the moment, they can be a bugger to run even on a real games machine.

Lets go back as to why is it crashing ... if you do not have a stable PC then forget about playing games.

Explain how your PC crashes ... do you see any BSOD (blue screen of death) with any error messages?

lol, nah its just goes blink* and restarts.
but everytime before it restarts the FPS goes down, then like 20mins later restarts, no blue screen no nothing just restarts. why don't u think its not an over heating problem? cuz i really think it is

Reaction score
Well Firts is the cpu fan working ok ?
I would check if the heatsink fins are covered with dust! and give it a good clean either with a brush or compressed air.
if the cpu is heating up too much that will caus a restart.
if it's the graphics card it will tell you hardware error when you next boot up and tell you what caused it (ie craphic card drivers caused error ) ect:

Reaction score
pcdoctor said:
Well Firts is the cpu fan working ok ?
I would check if the heatsink fins are covered with dust! and give it a good clean either with a brush or compressed air.
if the cpu is heating up too much that will caus a restart.
if it's the graphics card it will tell you hardware error when you next boot up and tell you what caused it (ie craphic card drivers caused error ) ect:

yeah i did the whole compressed air thing yesturday, as oppose to the video card, the guy who made my computer said that for most video cars it they over heat they just shutdown so that there won't be any severe cause of damage.

the fan are working good 2 blowing out and the one on the side blowing in. i'll check the heat sync. anything elsei should do wut do u suppose the pproblem is?

Reaction score
Those temps really are not hot enough to be a problem. 118 degrees is not hot for either a graphics card or processor under load - 118 fahrenheit is 47 degrees celsius for those of us that are less than 25.

Reckon it could be the power supply failing under load?

Reaction score
Dukes22 said:
lol, nah its just goes blink* and restarts.
but everytime before it restarts the FPS goes down, then like 20mins later restarts, no blue screen no nothing just restarts. why don't u think its not an over heating problem? cuz i really think it is

sounds to me like you need a new graphics card :D

i know this probably isnt the reason why you keep restarting but...
maybe its because you have so many processs' running on your pc that it cant cope and restart... try removing some unwanted files and programs (in the control panel) and run CCleaner , which will remve some unwanted stuff and hopefully reduce the crashing :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Those temps really are not hot enough to be a problem. 118 degrees is not hot for either a graphics card or processor under load - 118 fahrenheit is 47 degrees celsius for those of us that are less than 25.

Reckon it could be the power supply failing under load?

how do i confirm if it is the power supply?

Ask a Question