Installing New Processor

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought an AMD 6000 processor to replace my old 5200 one. After removing my old processor i installed the new 6000 with the supplied heat sink and fan (http://www.simtechs.com/_blank images/FAN-AM2.jpg) I applied Arctic silver 5 thermal compound to the top of the processor before doing this.

But after turning the computer on it seemed to run fine, however it was much louder than my previous set up, the heat sink and fan looked better than my old one so i am not sure what the problem is, my old heat sink was a Speeze EE792B12 (http://www.speeze.com/main/images/products/EE792B12.gif)

It was also quite nerve racking applying the thermal paste since this is the first time i have installed a processor my self. I keep wondering whether i applied to much or to little? I covered the whole top of the processor with a thin layer of paste so no silver was showing, but then on the AS5 website it said you only need a small drop in the middle :S

Also how do i check my cpu temperature?

Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

- Chris

Reaction score
Viceroy said:
Hi,

I recently bought an AMD 6000 processor to replace my old 5200 one. After removing my old processor i installed the new 6000 with the supplied heat sink and fan (http://www.simtechs.com/_blank images/FAN-AM2.jpg) I applied Arctic silver 5 thermal compound to the top of the processor before doing this.

But after turning the computer on it seemed to run fine, however it was much louder than my previous set up, the heat sink and fan looked better than my old one so i am not sure what the problem is, my old heat sink was a Speeze EE792B12 (http://www.speeze.com/main/images/products/EE792B12.gif)

It was also quite nerve racking applying the thermal paste since this is the first time i have installed a processor my self. I keep wondering whether i applied to much or to little? I covered the whole top of the processor with a thin layer of paste so no silver was showing, but then on the AS5 website it said you only need a small drop in the middle :S

Also how do i check my cpu temperature?

Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

- Chris

Some CPU fans are nosier than others it depends on how noisy it is and what RPM its running at, I always apply a layer of paste on the CPU I like to make sure that the CPU is covered in it. Others on here do that different but I would say you have got enough paste on there.

To Check CPU temps use this.

Reaction score
Thanks Wizkid, So do you think my previous fan was better? the Speeze one? Its just its pretty old now so thought this one would be better.

Thanks for the CPU temp link, quick and easy

Core #0: 40%
Core #1: 26%

Reaction score
Viceroy said:
Thanks Wizkid, So do you think my previous fan was better? the Speeze one? Its just its pretty old now so thought this one would be better.

Thanks for the CPU temp link, quick and easy

Core #0: 40%
Core #1: 26%

Your temps are not that high really. Third party fans are normally better than the stock fans, you could always try the other fan and monitor the temps with that one as well. It depends really on how fast the other fan runs at really to weather it would make a difference in the temp of the CPU.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok thanks, might see which is better then. I wouldn't have to wipe off and reapply the thermal paste if I switch between the two fans would I?

Reaction score
Viceroy said:
Ok thanks, might see which is better then. I wouldn't have to wipe off and reapply the thermal paste if I switch between the two fans would I?

I always reapply the paste when changing CPU fan. Apart from the loud noise of the AMD stock fan does the fan seem to work ok? I have a system that has an AMD Stock cooler fan in it and its louder than the other CPU fan in my other system.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Viceroy said:

Yes you do I'm afraid.

Aim for a very thin covering of thermal compound over the whole surface of the CPU.

Too much can actually raise the temperature,

Remember the paste is only there to fill the very minute gaps between the two metal surfaces to aid heat transfer, nothing else.

Your CPU temp is acceptable btw.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes the fan seems to be working fine just making a load of noise.

Do you think I should buy a new heat sink and fan? if so can you suggest a good quiet one?

Reaction score
Ok thanks, will look into it. Its not the temps thats bothering me its the noise that this new fan is making... much louder than my previous.

Ask a Question