-------------------
From: "Bruce Hagen"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Daave

Bruce said:
Sure it is. I'm posting using it.
Ditto.

Right click on news.eterrnal-september.org in the folder tree and then
Newsgroups. Click Reset List first and then search for: xp.gen

Nil

sorry, Dave, that isn't on the list of available 'groups' in E-S.

By my rough count, there are more than 1600 microsoft.public groups
offered by eternal-september, including this one (obviously.)

~*Laughingstar*~

From: "Bruce Hagen"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Did that - only 10 in the list that comes up.

~*Laughingstar*~

I'm perplexed - they don't come up on mine computer. Wonder if I have all
the settings in correctly - but have 10 showing.

Daave

~*Laughingstar*~ said:
Bruce said:
Did that - only 10 in the list that comes up.

10 what?

Currently, there are 26 microsoft.public.windowsxp groups being carried
by E-S, including this one (general). There are *many* other
microsoft.public groups as well.

Make sure you have selected the All tab (instead of the Subscibed one)!
You may need to reset as well.

E-S is highly recommended. Although there is a registration process, the
service is free. I hardly ever see SPAM posts.

Bert Hyman

In "~*Laughingstar*~"

I see 1772 at the moment.

My own ISP manages to come up with 2601.

I'm sure many, if not most, of them are empty or otherwise worthless.

Microsoft itself has trimmed down to just 214 groups.

Nil

I'm perplexed - they don't come up on mine computer. Wonder if I
have all the settings in correctly - but have 10 showing.

You need to read the instructions on their web site. You probably
aren't authenticating with your ID and password properly. You can also
scan through the e-t help groups, which you probably are able to see -
yours is a common complaint by people who are not set up correctly.

~*Laughingstar*~

From: "Bruce Hagen"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:78566 ------------------

Right click on news.eterrnal-september.org in the folder tree and
then Newsgroups. Click Reset List first and then search for:
xp.gen --
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

Did that - only 10 in the list that comes up.

Look here:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2v8pnk8.png

oh my, not on mine

Nick L. Odeon

Go to Eternal September's web site and do some looking around. There are a
couple of hoops you may need to jump through in order to get the full list.
I read them when I first hooked up, just don't remember what they were.

: Bruce Hagen wrote:
: >>>>>> sorry, Dave, that isn't on the list of available 'groups' in E-S.
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Sure it is. I'm posting using it.
: >>>>>
: >>>>> -------------------
: >>>>> Path: eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
: >>>>> From: "Bruce Hagen"
: >>>>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
: >>>>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18005
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Xref: eternal-september.org
: >>>>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:78566 ------------------
: >>>>>
: >>>>> Right click on news.eterrnal-september.org in the folder tree and
: >>>>> then Newsgroups. Click Reset List first and then search for:
: >>>>> xp.gen --
: >>>>> Bruce Hagen
: >>>>> MS-MVP [Mail]
: >>>>> Imperial Beach, CA
: >>>
: >>> Did that - only 10 in the list that comes up.
: >>>
: >>
: >>
: >> Look here:
: >> http://i28.tinypic.com/2v8pnk8.png
: >> --
: >> Bruce Hagen
: >> MS-MVP [Mail]
: >> Imperial Beach, CA
:
: oh my, not on mine
:
:

~*Laughingstar*~

thought of that . . . tnx

From: "Bruce Hagen"
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

oh my, not on mine

~*Laughingstar*~

ahhh yes, didn't read anything about putting my passwork and login in to my
News properties.

antioch

Peter Foldes said:
Install the NNTP Bridge

Please take a look at: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com for details and
the current download.

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

news:%[email protected]...

I am afraid that I cannot get my head into gear re this bridge thing.
However, I have managed to get all the old newsgroups to which I previously
subscribed via my IP/ISP and it is nice to see some the more 'helpful' names
are still here.

Please stay with us and thank you.

Antioch

PS
Could somebody please take a look at my post re Event Viewer :)
on 24 June.

Daave

Many people (myself included) prefer when posters post inline and also
snip appropriately.

Just because many people prefer that method, however, doesn't mean that
anybody is supposed to do anything, though.

In this particular sub-thread, everybody is top-posting, so we might as
well top-post, too (that is, in this sub-thread). "When in Rome..."

More info:

http://www.usenet.com.au/about/25/26.html

antioch

Daave

I agree - replies intertwined :)

Daave said:
Many people (myself included) prefer when posters post inline and also
snip appropriately.

I do when applicable
Just because many people prefer that method, however, doesn't mean that
anybody is supposed to do anything, though.

Personal choice then
In this particular sub-thread, everybody is top-posting, so we might as
well top-post, too (that is, in this sub-thread). "When in Rome..."

Not everybody is top-posting - some.
I blame PA Bear for encouraging top-posting - though I do seem to remember
he gave a very good reason for doing so :) :)

Daave

antioch said:
Daave wrote:

Not everybody is top-posting - some.

Actually, look at my post again. In the particular *sub-thread* I had
replied to (*at that moment*), everyone else was indeed top-posting. So,
I top-posted, too. Had I bottom-posted without snipping anything, it
would have been awkward.

Now it is logical to bottom-post. :)