USB to HDMI

Reaction score
Hi all.

I´m having a bit of a problem.

I have paid for channels on my pc but my pc don´t have HDMI port and the same with my wife pc.
I bought an adapter, USB to HDMI and try to use that but messages are that we have to have USB 2.0 which I don´t have.

Is there any way to fix this or does anyone have an idea how I can fix this.

My computers are Lenovo T500, 5GB, 64-bit, Intel Core Duo CPU P8800 and the other one is a bit smaller, Toshiba.
Tv is 42" LG LCD.

Hope somebody can help.

Br,
Julius.

Reaction score
I imagine a computer of that age would definitely have USB 2.0 ports. You should be able to distinguish them by the symbol next to the slot, however not all manufacturers follow these "suggestions" (not standards) and Lenovo's spec sheet for this model doesn't specify the USB speed, either. For USB 2.0, you want to look for the symbol with a little plus sign (+) integrated into the symbol next to the port. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
I imagine a computer of that age would definitely have USB 2.0 ports. You should be able to distinguish them by the symbol next to the slot, however not all manufacturers follow these "suggestions" (not standards) and Lenovo's spec sheet for this model doesn't specify the USB speed, either. For USB 2.0, you want to look for the symbol with a little plus sign (+) integrated into the symbol next to the port. Hope that helps!

Don´t see any + symbols.
Have a small port marked 1394.
But is there any split you can buy. Like USB who converts to USB 2.0?

Was trying to find something you use when using a projector, cable of some sorts with HDMI on the other end.

Reaction score
I might have been look at this a bit too literally. Physically, USB is USB. The only real difference between USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 (I think that's most of them) is speed. They are all backwards and forwards compatible with the caveat that the connection will always work at the slowest speed of connected devices. 1394 is firewire, and that's a totally different connection type. The only issue you may have is that there are different size USB connections: Standard, Mini, and Micro.

Reaction score
I might have been look at this a bit too literally. Physically, USB is USB. The only real difference between USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 (I think that's most of them) is speed. They are all backwards and forwards compatible with the caveat that the connection will always work at the slowest speed of connected devices. 1394 is firewire, and that's a totally different connection type. The only issue you may have is that there are different size USB connections: Standard, Mini, and Micro.

Ok so speed is the issue her it seems.

Sorry if I ask again and again but very unsure what I can do.
Can I download drivers from Lenovo that can help with this problem? Something like this http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=DS028065
Or some other download maybe?
Or USB that converts USB to USB 2.0?

Reaction score
Your laptop is only USB 2.0, downloading drivers for 3.0 won't do anything. In fact I doubt you would even be able to install them

Ok but why dont my USB work, that is what I don´t understand.
Should work on this machine. :(

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ok but why dont my USB work, that is what I don´t understand.
Should work on this machine. :(

Can you link to the adapter you have, and if possible post a screenshot of the error messages you are getting please ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You say you've paid for channels on your PC and by this I presume you've subscribed to a service that provides TV/video and you're trying to output the video content to a TV. Is this correct?

If so, can you see the subscribed service on your PC(s)?

If you can then basically you need to output your computer's video and sound to your TV. If your computer had an HDMI output then that would carry both audio and video but it hasn't got an HDMI port so you're going to have to output these signals another way.

You will not be able to do this via a USB port unless the TV has a dedicated USB port and even then I'm not sure whether it would work.

If your computer has a VGA port (which it probably has) then the video signal will go from that to the TV. Depending on what input sockets your TV has, the video can be put into either a VGA socket using a VGA to VGA lead, or the HDMI socket using a VGA to HDMI lead.

The audio will be taken from the audio out from the computer to the audio in on the TV.

A better but costlier solution would be to get a computer with an HDMI out socket.

Reaction score
Can you link to the adapter you have, and if possible post a screenshot of the error messages you are getting please ?

On the Lenovo I got no error messages. Tried all screen resolution and nothing, switch ports as well.
On the Thosiba I got messages saying you have to have minimum USB 2.0

Reaction score
You say you've paid for channels on your PC and by this I presume you've subscribed to a service that provides TV/video and you're trying to output the video content to a TV. Is this correct?

If so, can you see the subscribed service on your PC(s)?

If you can then basically you need to output your computer's video and sound to your TV. If your computer had an HDMI output then that would carry both audio and video but it hasn't got an HDMI port so you're going to have to output these signals another way.

You will not be able to do this via a USB port unless the TV has a dedicated USB port and even then I'm not sure whether it would work.

If your computer has a VGA port (which it probably has) then the video signal will go from that to the TV. Depending on what input sockets your TV has, the video can be put into either a VGA socket using a VGA to VGA lead, or the HDMI socket using a VGA to HDMI lead.

The audio will be taken from the audio out from the computer to the audio in on the TV.

A better but costlier solution would be to get a computer with an HDMI out socket.

To you´re first question, Yes, would like to watch this on my TV.

What do you mean service on my PC? Website I pay for programs? It´s Norwegian :)

Thanks for the advises, gonna try those tips and see what I can do :)

Ask a Question