Windows XP USB ports and Win XP

Reaction score
Hi,

I am running XP Pro SP2 and recently all USB ports stopped working. Error 39 is showing (missing or corrupt drivers) and all attempts to get back to normal have failed. The PC has been scanned for malware, etc., using both Spybot and Kaspersky without anything showing up. I've tried a simple driver deinstall and reboot, repaired Windows from the original disc, checked out Upper and Lower filters in the registry which worked for some people and have tried to get drivers from the ASUS site for the motherboard. My ASUS disc wouldn't let me load the USB driver because it said I should use the XP SP2 ones. The drivers on the Intel site were not appropriate either.

I had recently upgraded to Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 but the other PC I did at the same time is OK.

If I upgrade to XP SP3 I presume I may then get some level of support from Microsoft although I am not too confident about it. However I tried SP3 a few months ago and had so many issues that I decided to revert to SP2. I would prefer to avoid this and don't really want to reload the entire system from scratch if I can avoid it.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Reaction score
Uninstall your drivers

Then use something like ccleaner to clean out any residual traces. Its easy to find and free!

Reboot you're system then reinstall SP3. Any problems you have had you have not listed but you really need this on your computer if you want to continue getting updates and other support..

Just do a system restore point if you are not sure before installing SP3

Try reinstalling the drivers again

Are they for a particular hardware? Or just for the motherboard?

If so list your motherboard for us please..

Reaction score
I've already uninstalled the drivers on many occasions and used CCleaner. On rebooting after deinstalling, the USB controllers are found as new hardware but the drivers are reloaded corrupt. I guess the drivers are corrupt rather than missing as all the driver scans say they are there too, and are the most recent version.

SP3 threw up all sorts of slow running issues on both the PCs I have with XP and eventually I decided to stick with SP2, in spite of the updates, etc. I had thought about migrating to Win 7 when more of my older sofware has been adapted (XP Mode is not what I want to do as a workround) and I can make a worthwhile upgrade. I have a laptop running Win 7 Ultimate and have experimented with the legacy software already with mixed results.

The USB drivers are motherboard, rather than a particular hardware, but I've had to revert to a PS2 mouse and keyboard, cannot print from a USB port or connect any MP3 player, camera or other peripheral. A separate PCI firewire card is still OK but is not USB. The USB drivers that came with my ASUS P5ND2 SE motherboard won't load because the ASUS disc just keeps telling me I have to use the Windows drivers on the XP SP2 disc. On the ASUS driver site I tried using their driver update tool and that said the same, as did the Intel driver site. On the Microsoft site they stopped support SP2 from 10 July which is why I was thinking of trying SP3 again.

I've tried updating the drivers from Device Manager but that just says there are no more recent updates available. After repairing Windows I obviously had to do a complete new Windows update, after setting up a browser, and all the old restore points had been erased. I have created new restore points as I go along.

The PC is connected to a home network which works OK and my backup drive (firewire connected) is OK. The only issue is the USB ports.

It seems odd that there isn't a set of generic USB drivers out there somewhere.

I'll have another go at SP3, probably next week now as a busy weekend is coming up, and post again then.

Motherboard is ASUS P5ND2 SE and I have the original disc.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 x 2.40GHz), 1066MHz, FSB/4M L2 Cache
4G DDR RAM (only about 3G is recognised of course)
Windows XP Pro SP2 (I have the original disc)
512Mb Radeon X1650 Pro PCI Express
Onboard sound (6 channel RealTek as came with the motherboard)
500Gb Serial ATA HDD with 16Mb cache (7200rpm)
Separate DVD and CD rewriters, both of which are working OK.
Firewire PCI card which is working OK.

Reaction score
First disable your antivirus or internet security temporarily...go to device manager....uninstall USB drivers...get your sp3 pack ready...when you boot up...install sp3 over it...make sure antivirus remains disabled until you complete the installation...Reboot and the error should stop..if it does not pop in your motherboard drivers CD and reinstall USB drivers..(although I believe Win xp provides an inbuilt support for USB and this shouldnt' be needed)

Reaction score
Still no success after installing SP3, the USB drivers are still showing as missing or corrupted when uninstalled and reinstalled.

I'd already found usbman.com but the site keeps taking me to Microsoft Update but there is nothing there to download. I did try pcsofthelp from this site but their scan didn't throw up any drivers that needed updating.

The ASUS motherboard disc still won't let me install the drivers but I think you would normally use them before installing an OS and they would become redundant once the drivers on XP are installed.

USB support is enabled in BIOS.

I don't have any USB Root Hub entries in Device Manager, just Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller entries. Shouldn't there be the USB Root Hub entries as well?

It's looking more and more as if I'll end up reformatting the machine, and reinstalling XP from scratch, but I don't fancy this option if there is anything else.

Ask a Question