EPSON SCANNER 4990 PHOTO - SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS 8.1

Reaction score
Hello,
I am not the right generation to be on here at all really; too old, but perhaps someone can explain. I've bought an Epson 4990 from eBay, no software, just the machine. I have located the driver for Windows 8.1 and appear to have downloaded it successfully. However, when I try to open the app it tells me that the scanner cannot be found; it is of courses connected via the printer port on the scanner and a usb to the laptop. Thant's the problem. There is another port on the back of the scanner, is it a firewire port?
The reason I bought it is to scan photos, black and white and colour negatives and I see that the original software would have included Photoshop Elements, so does the online driver include this or do I not need it?

Reaction score
What do you mean by, "it is of courses connected via the printer port on the scanner ."

Reaction score
1. Does it power on
2. Is the device connected to the pc?
3. Ms Win provides some drivers automatically, they might be old or even incompatible, go to the manufacturer website and download and reinstall
4. Are you trying the Win app or the manufacturer to scan? Try the manufacturer

Ask a Question