USB Hubs

Reaction score
Operating System: Windows XP Anti Virus Software : AVG Full Anti Spyware Software : Internet connection ADSL router.
Computer Specifications :- Manufacturer Dell Product Name DIM4500 Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
Windows XP Personal Service Pack 3
Security 128 bits
Windows Update's version number 7.2.6001.788
Workgroup MSHOME
Active Desktop Installed
Seagate 1TB external drive
Seagate 500mb external drive
:cry:
I have had a USB powered hub working fine for years.
Following the installation of a HP Photosmart Printer, most of my USB devices stopped working or worked intermittently. I dumped the HP printer and removed all HP Software which I have been told can screw up your system.
Following this my original USB hub was totally unreliable.
I installed a brand new USB hub but am getting the same problems.
I have carried out the following steps on both the old & new hub.

• Install USB Hub – Message detected new hardware generic USB hub. Your etc. is installed & working.
Plug in Flash drive or Seagate external drive, sometimes it is scanned by AVG and then appears in ‘Explorer’ which shows the content of the drive. Sometimes it is not scanned but appears in explorer but shows no content.

Sometimes get the message:-
“A problem occurred during Hardwear installation. Your new Hardwear might not work properly.”
OR
“USB Device Not Recognized One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.”

• Plug in Camera, Camera screen blinks & computer bleeps repeatedly, can not access camera contents.

• Disconnect the USB Hub & connect each of these devices directly to PC, all work correctly.

Any one out there knows what’s going wrong?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
http://community.spiceworks.com/product/2826-dell-dim4500

Does this accurately represent your machine? If so, there is a possibility that the USB bus is having an issue with handling the USB configuration for your devices. I have an old HP machine that has mutated over the years, but the system board is still original. Newer devices are not recognized in the system. While most technology claims to be backward compatible, many USB devices are not. My Western Digital My Book 500G takes several minutes to be available. I have disabled autorun and any WD "startup" software for the drive, and still the same issue. A number of newer machines with USB 2.0 or higher recognize these devices without issue, all with varying OS installations.

TL;DR: Try your devices on a new machine. You may just be suffering from USB compatibility issues.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Silverhazesurfer.
It is not a compatibility problem as all of my USB 2.0 devices work correctly when connected direct to PC.
It is only when connecting them via the hub that things go wrong.
Found an excellent web page on USB problems http://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb2.htm. But I have still not solved the problem. Waiting for a response from Dell.
I have no doubt that the HP printer software screwed something in my system.
Terry

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The fact a usb hub worked ok before hp printer connected would point to this being a software issue caused by hp software.

And of course it's a Dell.

Have you completely removed all traces of HP software? This would involve deleting all folders including possible entries in Program Files, all Application data folders and if you know what you're doing, all registry entries relating to HP or Hewlet Packard.

I have a couple of HP Photosmart printers, one is with XP and has software installed and the other is with Win 7 and won't accept the HP software as it's too old but does work fine with generic Win 7 drivers.

But I'm not using any USB hubs.

How many USB ports does the machine have? It's possible the motherboard may have a spare USB socket which means you could fly a couple of sockets either to front mounted ports if they're there or rear mounted if you have the suitable adapter.

Reaction score
Hi there floppy, nice to here from you again.
I have deep cleaned the system using Revo Uninstaller, but I still found a couple of HP folders after that & removed them.
The machine has 6 USB sockets but 2 of them at the front of the machine are virtually unusable unless the machine is mounted above head hight. Mine is nearly at floor level which means laying on the floor with a torch to try and find the sockets. The worst piece of design I have ever come across.
All 4 rear sockets are in use so I need a hub to attach flash drives, camera etc. If I can't get the Hub working I will fly a pair of extensions to the front ports.
I will never buy HP again, 4 months of hassle, three replacement printers, replaced external drives because they had apparently failed (but had not, it was HP software) & the complaints dept, after promising to refund my costs just dropped the issue until I complained to UK MDs office. Then it took forever for them to do what they promised. Got my money back in the end.
Got a Cannon, cant fault it, I am well rid of the HP.
Will post the eventual resolve.
Thanks TJ

Reaction score
Hello guys, eventhough this discussions about installing a printer is nearly a year old already but hope you guys will help,
i have problem installing my printer a Cannon MP495 model, when it is about to finish, this is always coming out, " New port could not be created.: 0000 " i dont know if it is 2.0 USB ports or what.. hope you guys can give me a hint how to solve this problem,, thanks more power!:bow:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help. Don't know any details re your PC & operating system.
In my case I had to bite the bullet and replace my old Dell (WinXP) as most of the USB ports became unreliable.
Only thing I can suggest is to try your printer on a diferent PC.
TJ

Ask a Question