My external hard disk (seagate 1TB) not detected

Reaction score
Hi,

My Seagate expansion fell off a shelf (about 40cm high) while connected to my laptop and it is not recognized anymore. I have tried devmgmt.msc and all I can see is under "disk drives" it only says "Seagate desktop USB Device", but it does not have any more data attached to it (when it was working it used to show the full name of the hard drive, Seagate Expansion 1TB).

When I plug the hard drive to wall socket the small yellow light works (ie receives electricity). When I plug it into my USB it makes the sound of detecting a new USB device. But I cannot access its contents at all: when I check in device manager it only says under volumes "status not initialized, "partition style not applicable" and "capacity 953870MB". And it does not appear when I use Windows explorer.

Have I lost all data I used to have????

Thanks for your help!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looks like you broke it, a fall or knock from any height will kill a hard drive stone dead if your unlucky, which sounds like you were in this instance..

As for the data you could try a data recovery company to retrieve the data for you but it will not be cheap!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The 'fall' most likely re-aligned the 'head', if that has happened, you got Bob Hope or No Hope of retrieving your data ... you will need the help of an expensive Data Retrieval service if the data is valuable enough.

If, and I say if, the 'problem' was cased in another way, one could use a software solution, like The UBD to help recover the data.

Good luck! :user:

Ask a Question