Windows XP Unscheduled Hibernation Attempt

Reaction score
One of the computers on our network has been having a problem for a couple of weeks. Out of nowhere it just shuts down. It will boot back up but will shut down on its own within a few minutes. First cpu fan was replaced. Then power supply was replaced. Nothing. I swapped out that machine with another machine and same problem. Tried different power outlets, swapped out cables, swapped out the monitor and same problem. Yesterday I connected and stayed connected through pcanywhere thinking if it replicated I would know when it happened because I would be disconnected. After two hours the following message popped up: "A request to suspend power was denied by AWHOST32EXE" The pcanywhere connection prevented it from shutting down. My computer company is still saying it is a power issue of some kind. My thinking is that if this were a power issue no warning would be given and I would just get disconnected. We have checked and rechecked the power settings on the machine and the settings are set to always on for every option. Any ideas???

Machine is running WindowsXP service pack 2 on a network running Windows2000. All other machines on network are fine(6 other terminals)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try turning off (never) any power managment & do not use a screensaver.

:)

Welcome to the forums ...

Reaction score
all power off management is off, inlcuding all settings in bios. Screensaver is not used. Computer people worked on it all day yesterday. Had new(out of the box never been used) pc put in and have the same errors happening. The only reason we are even getting the errors in the log is because pcanywhere is open and preventing the power down action from happening. We are leaning towards something associated with the port that pcanywhere uses when connected. Trojan?? We have scanned, checked the registry, scanned the network.... We are really running out of ideas on what to check. Thanks for any input anyone might have. This is keeping me up at night!

Reaction score
Just to update on where things stand... Switched to a different port this morning, about 3 hours ago, and so far no problems everything is operating as it should.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... ain't computers strange beasties.

:D

Reaction score
My problem is cured. I think I can say with almost certainty that it was the port. It has been almost 24 hours and the problem has not shown itself since we switched the connection port. Computers are great.....until they aren't! ;)

Reaction score
Never should have opened my mouth. Problem is back. System shut down sometime this morning. Back to the drawing board. Does anybody have any ideas or complete guesses as to what I should try next?????

Ask a Question