Cheap and Powerful Single Board Computer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've built a CNC machine which uses a Raspberry Pi to power the motion planning part of the machine, but it's a little underpowered for some of the tasks I'm using it for (as I'm also using a full-screen Chrome browser to act as a touch-screen interface).

I'm thinking about swapping it out for something much more powerful, more along the lines of an Intel NUC.

I've spotted the Asus Tinkerboard S which is footprint compatible with the Raspberry Pi (which makes things easy), but I don't know if that'll be enough power for what I'm after.

Has anyone seen something that would be under £80 that would be substantially more powerful that an RPi (and has at least the capability of running Windows 10). It would need to be a very small footprint (and if it runs direct from 24V, that's a nice bonus).

My thoughts so far are to pick up a cheap 2nd hand Intel NUC from eBay, but I'd be interested to know if anyone here knows of a better alternative.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That board has some great specs, but I'm not sure how fast it would be in non-AI applications. It'll run Ubuntu nicely and comes in at the right price, so I'll do some more reading up on this now. Thanks for the link!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Check out what arrived on Monday @Abraham Andres Luna :D. It's the NVIDIA Jetson Nano!

I'm so pleased you recommended this, it's up and running in my CNC machine and so far it's working great. It's significantly more powerful than the RPi and it is able to power the USB devices fully, without requiring a hub (which was a struggle for the RPi).

Thanks again for the recommendation. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll post more of an update on it once I've pushed it a little more :).

Ask a Question