I'm going to do a thing with a RPi.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just thought I'd tell you chaps as I'm sure you'll approve. Also a bit of a heads up as I've never touched one before so its entirely possible I might be in need of help!

Put simply I want a way to be able to run a program called DSLStats to monitor my internet connection. Obviously you can just run it via your PC but I want it to be monitoring 24/7, without running the PC 24/7.

So a RPi Zero W can be powered via USB fro the router I'm told, which is nice, want it as minimal as possible and one less thing plugged into the wall is a bonus!

My shopping list (TBC)
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w?variant=30333236753
https://thepihut.com/products/premium-raspberry-pi-zero-case?variant=25147478984

Or I could just get one of the kits, bit more money but tis a better speced board and can still be powered via USB by all accounts.
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3-starter-kit

So there we have it, feel free to offer up any advice etc as I may need it. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
About time you got tinkering with one! :D

That's a pretty cool usage, perfectly suited to the Pi Zero W :). They use such a small amount of power that powering it via the router USB should be fine. I'd stick to the Zero for something like this, as I don't think it'll need anywhere the power of the Pi3 - although if you may re-purpose it in future, it may be worth it.

Do you need to get the kit package, I guess you don't need the header pins etc...? The adaptors may be useful though.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Haha, yeah its something I've always thought about doing, just never had a good reason to get one, until now.

Yeah I figured the same, the 3 would be overkill and needs more juice to power it. Anyway the biggest concern for me is size and power draw so the Zero makes the most sense. :)

I ordered this in the end: The Zero W + Adaptors and an official case. I know there is a bundle with a case but its fugly and I hate it.

Got the shipping email not long ago, so all being well I'll have it by tomorrow, doubt I'll have time until the weekend to fiddle though, we'll see.

I already have an SD card so will DL and install NOOBS on it and take it from there.

Edit: @Ian What would you say is the best way to control it once I've set it up? I want to run it headless and will only need to connect to it on my home network, not from outside.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good luck! :D You'll either have loads of fun and start using them for more things, or hate it and want to chuck it in the bin :lol:.

What would you say is the best way to control it once I've set it up? I want to run it headless and will only need to connect to it on my home network, not from outside.

I use Putty to connect to the Pi and control it via SSH - just the Linux command line. I can't remember the setup for the Pi Zero, but I seem to recall you'll need to edit a config file on the SD card OS to initiate the WiFi connection. After that, everything else can be done remotely. You'll need to do a bit of reading up on headless installs, as I can't remember how to do it now :blush:.

Also worth giving it a static IP address in your router admin panel, makes it a bit easier when connecting to it :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed, I can see this going one of two ways. One is good, the other, not so much. Hell it'll make a nice door stop if all else fails. :lol:

Yeah I saw that, you have to add a file named ssh to the boot partition of the SD card.

I want to run it with a GUI though as I'll need to see and configure DSLStats. I have been informed via the Kitz forum (where the guys who run DSLStats and MDWS are) that this can be done via VNC, guide here or here.

There's also some info on getting it to auto start, which I'll look into also in time. Thread here if you're interested, I dare say it will make more sense to you than it does to me!

I've got my head round it now I think, I think I over complicated it to begin with, but its not as bad as I first thought it was! I hope!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Didn't do anything this weekend as I thought I had a spare mSD card. I didn't. So I ordered one on Thursday, it finally got delivered today. :|

Will see if I can get it up and running this evening.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its alive! :D

All up and running last night. Powered by the router using a super short micro USB cable, (which is the only physical connection it has) nice and minimal. I'm going to find a way to mount it to the back of the router so its secured as for now it just resting behind it.

Connecting remotely via VNC.

Only thing I need to do now it work out how to make DSLStats start automatically on boot which I've seen several ways to do so, but not explored any yet. Bash Scripts seem to be the best way. DSLStats is just an exe you run rather than something you install if that makes any difference.

If you guys have any ideas let me know. :thumb:

Here's a pic, not got any of it in place but the SD card on the left and micro USB sockets on the right give a sense of how small it it.

rxjOhqE.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes I've read about the rc.local file. I'll take a look at both of your suggestions later. Ta!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
"You must edit with root"

Ok, how does one do that? :blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"You must edit with root"

Ok, how does one do that? :blush:

Guess you are using a Raspbian os as it is Pi related.

So open up a terminal and type something like,

Code:
sudo nano home/username/ relevantfolder/mybashscript

you will be asked for your user password, not the root password.

or you could go full root by typing

Code:
su

and entering your root password when asked.

You can go root from a file manager but as I have not played with a Pi for a while I am not sure if you can do that with the one provided.

:cool:

Ask a Question