Windows XP Unable to log into XP

Reaction score
I will try to keep this brief. When I try to log onto XP, my laptop boots up, I get to th XP page, screen goes black, then just before it would get to the log on screen, it reboots. I can get into the BIOS, I try to boot up in start mode but the same thing happens. One of the options allows me to prevent the auto restart, but then instead of re-booting it just hangs on a black screen.
I understand you can do a repair of XP. Is this my next option. I have never used the XP disk with the laptop so can't remember if it came with one. Is it standard practice for them to be shipped with one?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

If safe mode doesn't work either, then repair mode may be the only option. Just before you resort to that, can you try using the "last known good config" option and see if that works please:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

1. Start your computer.
  2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
  3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
  4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Reaction score
Hi Ian. and thankyou for your reply. I omitted to say in my initial post that I have tried using the last known good config, but the same problem occurs.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, in that case a repair install will probably be the way to go :). It is usual for a PC to come with the installation disks (or at least it was at the time XP was around).

It should be very simple to perform the repair install once you've booted from the installation CD - there's a walkthrough here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Ask a Question