UEFA Cup Final

Reaction score
Sounds a fair reflection. All the fans I saw, and that was tens and tens of thousands were really well behaved. Just the minority that mess it up. Mind you, i've spoken to some Rangers supporting friends and they think that those causing the trouble wern't Rangers fans, but were people just there to cause trouble posing as fans.

Oh, and how incompetent can Manchester Council be not making sure the screens were either working, or there was a back-up plan!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
And how incompetent of some Rangers fans for travelling down there without tickets and any hope of getting in.....they should have stayed at home and watched it on the telly :p

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
And how incompetent of some Rangers fans for travelling down there without tickets and any hope of getting in.....they should have stayed at home and watched it on the telly :p

Its about supporting your team mate, 200,000 went to support the team they love. Manchester bid for the final, and they got it, so they should have provided the facilities for it.

No one i know that went tried to get a ticket when they got there, that's what the fan-zones were for.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Its about supporting your team mate, 200,000 went to support the team they love. Manchester bid for the final, and they got it, so they should have provided the facilities for it.

No one i know that went tried to get a ticket when they got there, that's what the fan-zones were for.
Ooops, and here was me thinking you go to watch football in a stadium :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm amazed they managed to fit so many people in the town centre - there were just rivers of blue everywhere!

Did you see many Zenit fans out and about - was wondering how both sets of supporters got on in the fan zones?

I think they found out what went wrong on the Picadilly Gardens screen ;) :

20081505celtic.jpg

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Ooops, and here was me thinking you go to watch football in a stadium :p

Most teams would. But most teams don't have the best supporters in the world!! :bow:

We took over a city, the atmosphere was brilliant, some idiots got arrested, but on the whole was amazing.

Yeah, some some Zenit fans out and about and we all got on really well, some good banter with them.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Most teams would. But most teams don't have the best supporters in the world!! :bow:

We took over a city, the atmosphere was brilliant, some idiots got arrested, but on the whole was amazing.

Yeah, some some Zenit fans out and about and we all got on really well, some good banter with them.

Frankly, in my mind that's a nonsense.

Rangers fans trashed Manchester, wrecked cars and almost killed a police constable.

Read this story and view the CCTV footage

That is more than just a few idots, that's a lot of idiots. Rangers fans idiots.

"The next day the city centre looked like a scene from Basra - like a bomb had hit it. I was angry that the Rangers fans had done this."

Mr Bardsley, who served in the 26 Engineer Regiment at Bulworth Garrison, said he had served in a number of war zones but had witnessed nothing like the scenes in Manchester.

"I would describe it as wolves who had not been fed for days. I did not think of any danger to me just the safety of others and making sure everyone was getting out okay," he said.

"I knew that if no-one was going to get him (the officer) he wasn't going to make it. I thought 'sod it' I did not care that bottles and bricks were being thrown at me. The adrenaline just kicked in."

And some of my mates wonder why I really don't like football.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Frankly, in my mind that's a nonsense.

Rangers fans trashed Manchester, wrecked cars and almost killed a police constable.

Read this story and view the CCTV footage

That is more than just a few idots, that's a lot of idiots. Rangers fans idiots.
And some of my mates wonder why I really don't like football.

Floppy, you have no idea what you're talking about. You are jumping on the media bandwagon on this one i'm afraid. I was there, the vast majority of fans were brilliant and just there to support the team.

The people that attacked the police officer were not wearing Rangers colours, and I can assure you that almost everyone i saw there that day were in Rangers colours.

And to say they almost killed a police officer is just ridiculous, he had a bandage on his elbow and that's it. The police were heavy handed. Me and my friend were charged by a police riot squad for nothing, absolutely nothing.

Rangers fans have been subjected to a torrent of abuse because of a minority of idiots, who I don't believe are even rangers fans.

Oh, and just to clarify your last quote, that was a Rangers fan that rescued the police officer from the 'baying wolves'. Go look at the footage and tell me how many Rangers tops you see!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I'm prepared to believe that what you say is true bodhi, but tell me this - why is it almost always football that is the catalyst for this type of violence? The 'lad' mentality? West Ham calling cards, to go back a decade or two.

A whiles back I hung out with a bunch of blokes who supported Spurs. So I used to go along for a while, just to be part of the bunch I suppose.

In the six months I went to Spurs matches with them, I've never seen so much violence.

I can remember travelling to Swindon to see Spurs V Swindon in a replay (and no, I don't actually profess to understand the machinations of the league tables or anything, tbh) and seeing a group of Spurs supporters beat this guy senseless.

His crime? He was wearing a red boiler suit (Swindon colour) and was working on his car in a Swindon side street.

He ended up flat on his back semi-concious, his face covered in blood. I was walking with the Spurs supporters, they all knew each other, and I was expected to celebrate this 'victory'. I felt sick to my stomach.

When I was in the match, I noticed flames leaping skyward behind the stand I was in and I got a bit nervous, saying to my mate 'The Stand's on fire'.

He said 'No, don't worry, we've set fire to the program stand, we always do that'.

Football? Just an excuse for organised male chest beating and violence, far as I can see.

It's strange, my Dad was a big footie fan, he lived in Birkenhead and he had a choice of three teams to support - Liverpool, Tranmere Rovers or Everton. You guessed it - Tranmere.

I'm sure my old man thought I was Gay because I didn't like football, lol, I could never see the attraction.

I did, however, like Rugby. I used to play that and together with swimming were the only school sports I ever enjoyed.

Sorry, Football leaves me cold and when I see the violence that I've linked to and so called fans trying to justify their behaviour saying it's not typical, I find it hard to think reasonably.

Whatever. I think I'd like to lock all the Celtic (Paddies) and Rangers (Orangemen) in a big stadium together and observe.

Now, PCR UK is a peacable kind of Forum and I realise this topic could escalate. I don't want that to happen. But I couldn't let those comments go by about all Rangers fans are just a lovable bunch of guys and all the violence wasn't caused by football, I just had to comment.

So, I've said my piece, feel free to return any comments you feel fit, But I'm done with this.

And that's another thing, football is often divisive, brings out the worst in folks in my opinion.

If my old man could read this wherever he is now in death, he'd still probably doubt my sexuality..... :D

Reaction score
Haha, that all made me laugh Floppy. I have no desire to let this escalate to be honest, i enjoy the laid back atmosphere of PC Review and wouldn't want to upset anyone. I just felt I had to say my piece about Wednesday night because I was there and felt I had to defend the 199,958 people that were there and were well behaved.

You're totally right, football does have this violent undercurrent, which I hate, and i can assure you any normal football fan hates also. It just has attracted this section of society that use football as an excuse to cause trouble and have a bit of a fight. These people are just scum though, and if it wasn't football, im sure they'd find some other excuse to kick people to the ground and cheer about it.

I've been following the Rangers forums since Wednesday and I can assure you that the vast majority of people on them are disgusted with the behaviour of fellow 'fans' and are angry and upset that Rangers name has been dragged through the mud by people that really have no right calling themselves fans.

Anyway, happy to discuss in an adult way, that's what forums are about after all. :nod:

Ask a Question