Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Reviews

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
csKZblA.jpg

A monster of a card, with a price tag to match!

Here are some reviews....

Hey there my man, today is the day that we finally can unleash the performance numbers of that product you've been hearing about a lot these days. The GeForce GTX Titan, a card that to date is Nvidia's fastest single GPU based graphics card that Nvidia has ever built. It is based on the GK110 GPU and is as such is closing in on one GeForce GTX 690 with two GTX 680 GPUs. For those that do not recognize the GK110 chip codename, this was a GPU launched many months ago and ended up in Nvidia's professional Tesla K20X series of products.
Before I continue with the introduction, due to the number of cards and stuff we have to talk about, we have split up the content in separate articles, otherwise we'd end up with one 75 pages article. Below an overview of our three must read articles.

Alright, crunch time! So here's a small secret, initially roughly a year ago we expected the GK110 chip to be launching in the GeForce GTX 680, but the GK104 currently in use for GeForce GTX 680 was, simply put, just too good and yielded so much better. See the GK110 chip is HUGE, and that makes it a difficult chip to bake, its recipe is so sweet though. So it made a lot of sense for Nvidia to wait as long as possible to release this chip once wafer yields would improve and the fabrication processes more refined.
Currently it is February 2013, we have just seen the first dual-GPU Radeon HD 7970 based graphics cards and let's be realistic, tremendous performance gains for the Radeon 7970 series products at driver level, and that pushed that oh-so important competing performance advantage upwards. Now that works both ways, Nvidia found a lot of extra performance in their drivers as well. But with an equal playing field, the Crysis 3 and a Playstation 4 announcement all in February, Nvidia figured, let's introduce a GK110 SKU into the market.
Guru 3D

Had someone told us NVIDIA was going to launch the GeForce GTX Titan around this time a month ago, we'd have politely asked them to go jump off a skyscraper. Why? Because NVIDIA simply doesn't need it in its product stack at this time. The performance lead AMD's HD 7970 GHz Edition has over the GeForce GTX 680 is disputed at best, and the latter ships with better energy-efficiency and acoustics. The GeForce GTX 670 continues to beat the HD 7950 Boost Edition and the GTX 660 Ti trades blows with the HD 7950, with much better power/noise numbers. It's only with the "Pitcairn" based HD 7800 series that AMD appears to have a solid footing. Even at the ultra high-end segment, the dual-GPU GeForce GTX 690 scales near perfectly over the GTX 680. So what prompted NVIDIA to rush out the GTX Titan? Is it even being rushed out to begin with? We'll have to look back at 2012 for some answers.

When AMD launched its Radeon HD 7970 in December 2011, it appeared for a brief moment as though AMD was set for 2012. Brief, because there was more than just arrogance in NVIDIA's dismissal of AMD's new flagship GPU and the architecture that drives it. NVIDIA's "Kepler" GPU architecture was designed under the assumption that the HD 7970 would be much faster than it ended up being, so the company realized its second best chip, the GK104, had a fair shot against the HD 7900 series.
Tech Power Up

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX TITAN GPU was unveiled on Tuesday though publications were not permitted to publish performance numbers from the Tesla K20X-derived card. All indications pointed to TITAN becoming the fastest single-GPU solution on the market, primed to beat down its own stablemate, GeForce GTX 680, and AMD's Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition.

Performance leadership in any segment usually goes hand in hand with premium pricing. NVIDIA is set to release TITAN next week at a whopping £830 from a select band of add-in card partners. This exorbitant pricing naturally brings other super-high-end competitors into play, including NVIDIA's very own dual-GPU GeForce GTX 690 (£750), the also-dual-GPU, partner-produced AMD Radeon HD 7990 (£750), and, going down the two-card path, a couple of Radeon HD 7970s in CrossFire.

It is manifestly clear that value isn't the TITAN'S strong suit, and our performance predictions reckon it'll be beaten by premium dual-GPU configurations in a straight pixel-pushing footrace. NVIDIA would rather you think of it as a refined, quiet and multi-form-factor card - a well-engineered, comfortable Porsche up against AMD's fume-belching, growling Dodge Viper, if you forgive the tenuous car analogy.
Hexus

Earlier this week NVIDIA announced their new top-end single-GPU consumer card, the GeForce GTX Titan. Built on NVIDIA’s GK110 and named after the same supercomputer that GK110 first powered, the GTX Titan is in many ways the apex of the Kepler family of GPUs first introduced nearly one year ago. With anywhere between 25% and 50% more resources than NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 680, Titan is intended to be the ultimate single-GPU card for this generation.

Meanwhile with the launch of Titan NVIDIA has repositioned their traditional video card lineup to change who the ultimate video card will be chasing. With a price of $999 Titan is decidedly out of the price/performance race; Titan will be a luxury product, geared towards a mix of low-end compute customers and ultra-enthusiasts who can justify buying a luxury product to get their hands on a GK110 video card. So in many ways this is a different kind of launch than any other high performance consumer card that has come before it.

So where does that leave us? On Tuesday we could talk about Titan’s specifications, construction, architecture, and features. But the all-important performance data would be withheld another two days until today. So with Thursday finally upon us, let’s finish our look at Titan with our collected performance data and our analysis.
Anandtech

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The day I pay almost nine hundred pounds for a video card will be the day I voluntarily check myself into the loony bin :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Best part about the release of this card?

Price of last gen will drop. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Will just add that my humble Nvidia GTX560 with my i7 plays every game I throw at it flawlessly.

So why bother?

By the time games are released (if you are able to bypass choking on the drm for future games) that can take advantage of this card, it will probably only cost about £200 rather than £820 - £880

Having the latest video card is a mugs' game, especially when latest video card offers no real time advantage apart from maybe a few improved benchmark figures.

Still, if you have spare money, then, ah, be my guest :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its certainly a mugs game, but having the fastest graphics card going can make you more efficient in life by at least 50%, so in that case its a worthy investment!

On a serious note though, there are peeps out there who spend more time upgrading there comps than playing them! There constantly chasing the newest tech. I haven't spent a bean on my comp in over a year, but still play the latest and greatest. There's always something in the back of my mind thinking how kool it would be to have dual xeons, 3 670's and 24gb of ram but then I grow up :p

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well my GTX580 is stuggling with Crysis 3 :( , it cant handle it everything maxed out. Had to change everything from Very High to just High and turn down the AA to 4 instead of 8 :(:(:(:( . My comp finally feels old!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Perhaps a little off topic but Crysis 3, as I understand, requires Origin be installed to play. Therefore Mr Flops won't be playing Crysis 3, which is a bit of a shame cos I thought the first two and the add-on were great.

And on the subject, I hear that in Dead Space 3, apart from needing Origin,the game offers 'add-ons' during gameplay, weapons and such, for cash. And without these extras you have to pay money for it's nigh on impossible to progress within the game.

So EA can take a running jump :)

Coming soon - visit the cinema, pay a fee half way through to see second half of film.

Am seriously considering entertaining the dark side...

Anyhow, the Titan card. Yes, must admit, there's a part of me - a somewhat illogical part I might add - that wants one of those cards ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Ask a Question