Nvidia GTX 780 Released

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
otL61OG.jpg

Guru 3D
GeForce GTX 780 3GB - The Wrath of The Titan!

There has been a lot of chatter in the graphics arena as to what both AMD and NVIDIA are doing for the 2013 lineup of products. With the global economy at an all-time low both manufacturers have been slowing down their development cycles in order to safe on R&D. But, to not release now products will stall sales, as hey... why should anybody upgrade? In the upcoming weeks or so we'll be seeing two new products from NVIDIA, both are sort of refreshes with the one today being a SKU based on geForce GTX Titan, in another jacket. It is the much discussed GeForce GTX 780. The GeForce GTX 780 is NVIDIAs all new high-end graphics card based in their Flagship product, the GTX Titan. This means it is based on the GK110 GPU and has an whopping 7.1 Billion transistors. That makes it a nice chunk faster opposed to the GeForce GTX 680 GPU. We test the product with the hottest games like Metro: Last light, Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Hitman Absolution and many more.

Just like Titan, the GTX 780 is based on the GK110 GPU with the distinctions that the Titan has a GK110-300 GPU and the GeForce GTX 780 a GK110-400 GPU. Same stuff, yet with some things disabled. But we are a bit surprized to see NVIDIA move forward with GK110, See, the GK110 chip is BIG, and that makes it a difficult chip to bake, its recipe is refined though as the product has 2304 Shader Processing Units, 192 TMUs and 32 ROPs on a 384-bit memory interface of fast GDDR5. So yeah, NVIDIA trimmed down that that 45 mm × 45 mm 2397-pin S-FCBGA Titian with its 2688 shader/stream/CUDA processors a bit.

Memory wise you are looking at 3GB over 6 GB, that is still huge (12 pieces of 64M ×16 GDDR5 SDRAM) of memory (384-bit) on there and started designing a bunch of new tricks at BIOS and driver level. Combined with GPU Boost 2.0 you will see this product boosting towards the 1100~1150 MHz range once you tweak it. The reference clock is 863 MHz with a boost clock of 900 MHz. Looking at the specs you must think that this product must consume heaps of power, well it's not great, but definitely not bad at all. The maximum allowed board design power draw is roughly 250 Watt, which considering what this product is, is good. Not in this review, but in another separate article, we will test the product on one, two and three monitors in Surround view with the hottest games like Battlefield 3, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Hitman Absolution and many more.
Source

Vortez
With AMD driver enhancements, the HD7970 had stolen back the performance crown from the GTX 680. That was until the advent of the extraordinary NVIDIA GTX TITAN. The GTX TITAN was however out of many enthusiasts reach because matching that extra ordinary performance was an extra ordinary price. Performance enthusiasts were left with a very difficult choice, save the pennies and look on with envy or go for broke (literally) and stump up the £900 it costs to pay for the TITAN. NVIDIA have never been a company to leave a market untapped though and to plug the gap between the GTX680 and the GTX TITAN we today sample the GTX 780, a new member to the GeForce family.
Source

Techpowerup
NVIDIA's first GTX 700 Series graphics card introduces the new lineup with impressive results. Built on the same GK110 graphics processor as the GeForce GTX Titan, it represents the best GPU technology NVIDIA has to offer at this time. Compared to the GTX Titan, the differences are relatively slim; NVIDIA disabled another streaming multiprocessor (SMX), which reduces the CUDA core count from 2688 to 2304. Also, the GTX 780 comes with 3 GB GDDR5 memory whereas the GTX Titan has 6 GB, and that's pretty much where the differences end.
When looking at performance, we see the GTX 780 not too far behind the GTX Titan; the difference is 7% when averaged out over our benchmarks. Compared to last-generation's GTX 680, the performance improvement is a respectable 16%. The red camp really has nothing to counter the GTX 780 as AMD's HD 7970 GHz is seriously lagging behind, being almost 20% slower. While AMD wants to put the HD 7990 on the performance throne, our own review shows that it is just not competitive enough, and too expensive with $1049.
Source

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, about 10% slower than Titan, but about £250 cheaper. Faster than a 680, but a bit more £££

All in all a good looking card.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, why they are not bundling any games with them is odd, you always get a Steam code or something with new cards these days.... :mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just a quickie.... I'm pretty skint atm but am considering getting a GTX660 (maybe even a Ti660) to replace my GTX560 vanilla 1Gb .

Worth it or no?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Cheapest I've seen is a Gainward at CCL for £150 (also with a copy of the new Metro game FWIW) but I quite like the look of this one for £165: MSI Twin FrozR GeForce GTX 660 OC 2048MB GDDR5

All these things I want to buy (a tablet, for one) but cash is short. Still, I've been considering a small upgrade for my 560 for some time now and the 560 could replace the 9800 in my AMD machine.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The MSI TF cards are beasts. on a par with the GB Windforce for cooling. If it were me i'd have the MSI, better cooling, quieter, probs overclocked higher too? With more room for a higer OC if that thast your thing :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MSI - MSI Afterburner - Easy overclock. Hell, why not? If it stays stable I'll have some of that. I've read good things about that MSI cooling system.

I think I will probably go for this, decent price for a stop gap solution.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
MSI Afterburner will work on any card, not just MSI cards, just as EVGA Precision will do the same. (Which incidentally are basically the same program with different UI's - See my software thread for more. :) )

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MSI Afterburner will work on any card, not just MSI cards, just as EVGA Precision will do the same. (Which incidentally are basically the same program with different UI's - See my software thread for more. :) )

Um, I know :) I've read enough of your posts to know what Afterburner's all about but it just seems more right using MSI software with MSI hardware. Illogical I know but that was my mindset when I posted.

The link to the MSI card I posted are out of stock but it is in stock at Novatech, same price, either free postage for 4 days delivery or six quid for next day delivery. And Novatech are also throwing in a copy of the new Metro game with it. I know I'm not keen on the Metro game but I'll certainly give it a try for free.

Can't order til Tuesday though, need to physically put some cash into one of my accounts before I can order.

Ask a Question