Totally amazing feature of SP2

Art

It's called "uninstall", it's just completely fixed all the problems my
system had. Amazing.

Sandman

MY guess is, this person had some of the frustrating problems that came with
installing SP2 and Uninstalled it, thereby solving all those problems.. A
smart man.. And clever to put it the way he did!

Kent W. England [MVP]

jct883 wrote on 12-Sep-2004 5:31 AM:
Please explain, I 'm a newbie and do not understand.

:

Rather than research and fix his SP2 problems, Art has decided to forego
the security features of SP2 and all future XP "reloaded" releases and
trust to luck and his innate computer skills to avoid malicious software
and future problems with Windows.

You got that right! I don't want anything to do with SP2
at all. I have mys system running just like I want it,
not the way Microsoft wants it. I also have a
firewall/router between my LAN and my DSL.

Art

Kent W. England said:
Rather than research and fix his SP2 problems, Art has decided to forego
the security features of SP2 and all future XP "reloaded" releases and
trust to luck and his innate computer skills to avoid malicious software
and future problems with Windows.

Nope, what Art has done is decide that after spending 4 weeks or so of
tweaking every possible configuration setting and scouring the internet
trying to find patches and updates for every possible driver on my system
and finding that I was still no closer to fixing the mess caused by SP2 that
I'd rather take my chances without any of it's supposed extra security
features for now. I already have a hardware firewall and I've never had any
problems in the past. Maybe the extra security features of SP2 would be
nice but I think it's more important to have a computer that can actually be
used. I might give SP2 a try again in 6 months or so, by then Microsoft
should have got round to releasing some patches to fix the updates to fix
the patches that will be supposed to fix the problems with SP2.

Ted Zieglar

With that attitude, there's really nothing else to say except good luck to
you, my friend. You're going to need lots of it.

Ted Zieglar

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Then why did you install SP2? From your own message header:

From: "Testy" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Totally amazing feature of SP2
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:45:32 -0400

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Testy" wrote:

| SP2 is NOT a requirement for a secure computer.
|
| Testy

Mike H

Yo Ted

Art is ok.. he is behind a hardware firewall.. he has never had any problems
in the past.. he is probably a hero among his friends.. he gives no credence
to the phrase 'there is always a first time'.. he has enough confidence on
his own abilities.. wow, what a guy!!

Two things trouble me though.. he does not appear to know anything about
prepping before a major installation.. and he also appears to think that he
will be able to get SP2 related fixes and patches without the need for SP2..
wow, what a guy!!

Mike H

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

There is a major flaw in your plan.
Many of the issues are not Microsoft issues as stated by you.
"for every possible driver on my system"
Drivers are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer and not
Microsoft.
Software patches are also the responsibility of the manufacturers and
not Microsoft.
If you ever intend to install SP-2, you need to research your hardware
and software for compatibility issues.
Start with the issues you already know and from there check the
manufacturers.

Simply waiting and doing nothing will accomplish nothing since the
SP-2 of today is identical to the SP-2 of next year.
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Dave K

I'm with Art and JCT883. I am a network engineer, and let
MS do the autoupdate to SP2 an my home machine. The first
problem I had is now OE6 is asking for the password for
the 'Main Identity' and I have never had or needed a 'Main
Identity' password. After doing some SP2 research and
seeing all of the other reported problems (and I can tell
the real problems from the don't-know-what-I'm-doing
problems), I figure Art's solution is the best. Kudos
Art, there is a reason that no self-respecting corporation
isn't letting SP2 go without putting it through its
paces. I wish I had, but I really don't care all that
much about this home machine.

Dave

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

The "self-respecting corporation" have been testing SP-2 for several
months and there are not real surprises for them.

Ted Zieglar

"...there is a reason that no self-respecting corporation isn't letting SP2
go without putting it through its paces."

That's correct, but it has nothing to do with your post.

Ted Zieglar

Wow, what arrogance. You do NOT know what issues Art has had with his system
and to arbitrarily believe MS has NO bugs in this release is truly arrogance
to the extreme. I have installed SP2 and have found very few problems -
however, I am not of the opinion that it is a panacea nor is it perfect (my
download speed dropped to a third of what it was prior to install, for
instance, which is the reason I am in this forum in the first place) and I
WILL have issues as time goes on. In fact, I've come to expect them from MS
Software. That's just pragmatic given their track record. To try to bully
Art into saying that he was wrong to "forego the security features of SP2 and
all future XP 'reloaded' releases and trust to luck and his innate computer
skills to avoid malicious software and future problems with Windows" makes an
assumption that MS has the only way to secure your system. Whew, big leap.
Few in the industry would ever consider MS a leader in Security Architecture
and Design. That may change over time, as they are investing heavily there,
but it's a might too early to say SP2 is the XP Release that shows them
joining the elite.

I, also, may find myself uninstalling it and waiting for SP2 w/ fixes
depending on whether I can get my download speeds back to normal! Right now,
I find nothing that points to a fix for my issue.

Ted Zieglar

"I WILL have issues as time goes on. In fact, I've come to expect them from
MS Software."

With an attitude like that, you'll have issues alright but they won't have
anything to do with Microsoft.

Ted Zieglar

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Sandman said:
MY guess is, this person had some of the frustrating problems that
came with installing SP2 and Uninstalled it, thereby solving all
those problems.. A smart man.. And clever to put it the way he did!

Methinks you need to purchase a dictionary. Let me give you a little lesson
in word definition

*Smart* /adj/ clever, witty, astute or shrewd

Now if you can tell me that failing to prepare a system before installing a
Service Pack makes one 'clever, astute, or shrewd' then you're either
stupid - or a liar. Removing a SP is equally not smart.

If you fail to prepare - prepare to fail. I didn't and - guess what?! - I
have zero problems. OK, I had a problem with Nero, but that wasn't caused by
SP2, it was caused by my lack of updating. For a smooth installation of SP2
it is necessary to do the following: -

1) Defrag the hard drive
2) Scan for viruses
3) Scan for spy/malware
4) Make sure all your software is updated
5) Make sure you have the latest drivers for all your hardware
6) Disable your AVP/firewall before installation

If you can't be arsed to do that, then don't come whining here when you have
problems. Microsoft even spells it out for you: -

What to Know (and Do) Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service
Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

If you rush headlong into something, without reading the instructions and
taking the necessary precautions, then you only have yourself to blame when
something goes wrong. You wouldn't undertake any DIY without first reading
the instructions, and making sure you've taken the necessary precautions
(e.g. you wouldn't solder pipes without wearing goggles, or gloves, to
protect your eyes and hands would you? Because you know that, if you didn't,
you'd most likely end up blind - and/or severely burnt). In the same way,
you need to take precautions before installing a SP. You didn't, so you have
problems.PEBCAK.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Ted said:
"I WILL have issues as time goes on. In fact, I've come to expect
them from MS Software."

With an attitude like that, you'll have issues alright but they won't
have anything to do with Microsoft.

Ted Zieglar

PMSL!! Well said Rocky! Couldn't have put it better myself!

Michael W. Ryder

Miss said:
[...]

I love how all of you MS lovers keep forgetting NT SP2. That disaster
caught everyone and MS had to pull it. Just because MS has not admitted
there are any problems with XP SP2 does not mean they are not there.
Also most "naive" users have auto update enabled like MS wants them to
have. So they get SP2 and suddenly their computer does not work. They
did not know that they had to spend days looking for obscure patches and
driver updates (if they even knew where to start) before the update was
loaded. Why couldn't MS which has a much better idea of the problems
warned the people before the update that they needed to upgrade this or
that like they do when you first install??

Miss Perspicacia Tick

dc said:
Wow, what arrogance. You do NOT know what issues Art has had with
his system and to arbitrarily believe MS has NO bugs in this release
is truly arrogance to the extreme.

Is it? Or is Kent just speaking the truth? I have SP2 installed and, after
following the Six Steps to Service Pack Installation Success, have yet to
find a single 'bug'. I had a few issues, but driver and software
patches/updates fixed all those.

I have installed SP2 and have
found very few problems - however, I am not of the opinion that it is
a panacea nor is it perfect (my download speed dropped to a third of
what it was prior to install, for instance, which is the reason I am
in this forum in the first place)

Again, nothing to do with SP2 - probably issues with your ISP, or something
isn't configured correctly. My download speed is fine - maybe even a shade
faster - than pre-SP2. Again, it cannot be called a 'bug'. Jupiter doesn't
have a problem with his download speed (or if he does, he hasn't said) nor
does Kent. So this is an issue peculiar to your system.

and I WILL have issues as time goes
on. In fact, I've come to expect them from MS Software.

No the only issues you have are ones that will see you paying thousands to a
therapist in the very near future.

That's just
pragmatic given their track record.

Actually, their track record is pretty good. OK, I abhor the way they do
business, but their software is user-friendly and fairly affordable (OK, so
it could be cheaper) but it's more intuitive and user friendly than WP
Office, IMNSHO. Hell, at work we're still running SmartSuite! And if you
want the perfect definition of poorly-designed software then that has to be
the epitome.

To try to bully Art into saying
that he was wrong to "forego the security features of SP2 and all
future XP 'reloaded' releases and trust to luck and his innate
computer skills to avoid malicious software and future problems with
Windows"

Kent wasn't "bullying" anyone (in fact, though I don't know him well at all,
I would go out on a limb and state categorically, from my interactions with
him, sparse though they have been, that Kent is quite incapable of
bullying - it just isn't in his nature) he was stating fact.

makes an assumption that MS has the only way to secure your

You mean there are other companies issuing patches for Windows?! Well they'd
better make damned sure that MS doesn't find out or they could find
themselves in very hot water very soon.

Whew, big leap. Few in the industry would ever consider MS a
leader in Security Architecture and Design. That may change over
time, as they are investing heavily there, but it's a might too early
to say SP2 is the XP Release that shows them joining the elite.

The word is 'mite' - meaning 'little'. 'Might' is the past tense of the
auxiliary verb 'may', and is used to express permission or possibility. Get
your etymology right - otherwise you make yourself look an even bigger twat
that you already are.

And you have just shot yourself in the foot and totally undone your entire
'argument'! The fact that MS is producing SPs, to fill holes found in their
operating systems, shows the very opposite of what you've just stated! If
they weren't bothered about security, they wouldn't produce service packs!
Next time, engage brain before putting fingers to keys!
I, also, may find myself uninstalling it and waiting for SP2 w/ fixes
depending on whether I can get my download speeds back to normal!
Right now, I find nothing that points to a fix for my issue.

As subsequent fixes may be dependent on you having SP2 installed, then you
could be waiting a very long time.

99.99% of errors are caused by not following the Six Step Plan.