The Totally Incomprehensible Kindness Of Strangers

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
We're in a restaurant in Amsterdam a few days ago and as we get towards the end of our meal the waitress brings over two glasses of bubbly that we did not order. Thinking that they were from management we are quickly told that they are from a couple who are two tables away, with an empty table between us. We have not had any conversation with them all evening but we immediately thank them profusely and have a brief chat, finding that they are from California. They then leave and we finish our meal.

On calling the waitress, for our bill, we are absolutely amazed to be told that this totally unknown couple have paid for our entire meal and drinks. The waitress has no idea why and does not know them at all.

We found this whole thing somewhat bizarre although it was a pleasant surprise. Our bill would have been in the region of 75 Euros so they have spent that amount plus two glasses of bubbly on two complete strangers, plus, of course, their own bill.

Life never ceases to amaze. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What a nice surprise! :D

Perhaps they overheard it was your birthday and wanted to do something nice :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
What a nice surprise! :D

Perhaps they overheard it was your birthday and wanted to do something nice :).

My birthday was several days earlier and was never mentioned that evening. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How bizarre. Guessing:

1) Eccentric billionaires who do it all the time for people they like the look of.
2) Members of some weirdo USA religious cult on a recruitment drive who somehow missed you leaving the restaurant.
3) Avid wife swappers vying for an introduction.
4) Sales people making the first stage of a pitch for selling double glazing or a time share in Mallorca.
5) You're on candid camera.

Very pleasant but I can't help wondering that if it happened to me I'd be comfortable with it.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
How bizarre. Guessing:

1) Eccentric billionaires who do it all the time for people they like the look of.
2) Members of some weirdo USA religious cult on a recruitment drive who somehow missed you leaving the restaurant.
3) Avid wife swappers vying for an introduction.
4) Sales people making the first stage of a pitch for selling double glazing or a time share in Mallorca.
5) You're on candid camera.

Very pleasant but I can't help wondering that if it happened to me I'd be comfortable with it.

Yup, we wondered about the weirdo religious thing but we felt it unlikely that someone wishing to help others would choose customers that could obviously afford to dine in a half decent restaurant. We felt that a more realistic recipient would be a tramp or down and out.

I do, however, like your idea in #1 - "people they like the look of" appeals to my vanity. :D

We felt a series of emotions at the time - incredulity, joy and, yes, a feeling of a lack of comfort but, by then, they had gone, never to be seen again. Unless they turn up in North Yorkshire. :D

Reaction score
Cool!

Perhaps it's part of this whole Pay it Forward thing that seems to be a thing, especially on Social Media. Basically do something nice for a complete stranger, that then prompts that person to in turn do something nice for a complete stranger.

Ask a Question