"suspended coffees"

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
a warm story, on a cold day

We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we're approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter ...

‘Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended.’

... they pay for their order, take the two and leave. I ask my friend:
‘What are those ‘suspended’ coffees?’
‘Wait for it and you will see.’

Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers — three for them and four ‘suspended’. While I still wonder what’s the deal with those ‘suspended’ coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the café. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks, ‘Do you have a suspended coffee?’

It’s simple ... people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who cannot afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.

it's true
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/suspended.asp

:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice little tale, Mucks. :)

How come the time on your post is one hour ahead of real time - it's timed at tomorrow early morning. :confused:

Whoops, just noticed mine is too. :D

Something to do with the hour change ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice little tale, Mucks. :)

How come the time on your post is one hour ahead of real time - it's timed at tomorrow early morning. :confused:

Whoops, just noticed mine is too. :D

Something to do with the hour change ?

yep, forum software isn't that clever despite telling it in your options to change the time when we do.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good idea but how often would it get abused by Louts here in good ol Blighty..

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've heard that the idea is starting to make an appearance in the UK too :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The cynical me wonders whether the proprietor of the catering establishment in question would honor all the monies left in their care?

Nice idea though :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Read this via Facebook the other day. It would be nice to be seen in the UK, but with a lot of boroughs clamping down on mobile soup kitchens for the homeless, it probably wouldn't be long before they clamp down on this idea.

Ask a Question