Total Workgroup failure

G

This should be a simple thing and it's worked before. I have four win2k professional machines on the same hub. Everyone has a unique ID, etc. The workgroup was working just fine, then one day it stopped. No idea why. Now I get "the server is not configured for transactions" message whenever any of them try to access the workgroup. Further, I cannot attach a laptop running XP to the network now, because no one is configured for transactions, whatever that means. Plenty of the machines have drives shared out and all say file and print sharing are working.

Further, there's a shared resource, a printer, that I have to go through great lengths to give access to the rest of the network. If only windows were this secure when you wanted network security.

So, it just stopped working all of a sudden and I cannot figure out why. Is there something simple I'm missing or am I just plagued by gremlins?

J

Jetro

It seems like the computers lost IPC$ share (run 'net share' from the
CommandPrompt). Instal Antivirus. You can recreate IPC$ share running 'net
share ipc$'.

Ask a Question