to surf: must type http://

Harris

Hi all, a friend just switched from using AOL to a different ISP and now
using IE6. She has XP w/ SP2 and all updates are installed. The problem is
to surf she must type in the complete http://www address rather than just
typing in www.address.com etc. A little research has suggested Start / Run
sfc /scannow ( tried but didn't fix the problem ) and Repairing IE via
finding IE.INF and right clicking on 'Install". Unfortunately that attempt
then asks for the Win XP w/SP2 install disk which she doesn't have. I've
also tried to reinstall IE6 but those attempts are thwarted by Windows
telling me that a newer or later system is already installed. Any and all
suggestions in solving the must type in http:// to surf will be most
appreciated.

Tom S

You can change the key that says IE is installed and then reinstall.

change:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
"IsInstalled" to "00000000"

Nightowl

Harris said:
Hi all, a friend just switched from using AOL to a different ISP and now
using IE6. She has XP w/ SP2 and all updates are installed. The problem is
to surf she must type in the complete http://www address rather than just
typing in www.address.com etc. A little research has suggested Start / Run
sfc /scannow ( tried but didn't fix the problem ) and Repairing IE via
finding IE.INF and right clicking on 'Install". Unfortunately that attempt
then asks for the Win XP w/SP2 install disk which she doesn't have. I've
also tried to reinstall IE6 but those attempts are thwarted by Windows
telling me that a newer or later system is already installed. Any and all
suggestions in solving the must type in http:// to surf will be most
appreciated.

Hi Harris

Open Regedit (Start > Run > Regedit) and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix
Check that the value Default is set to "http://" (without the quotes)

Also look at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes
Mine are set to:

Name Type Data
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
ftp REG_SZ ftp://
gopher REG_SZ gopher://
home REG_SZ http://
mosaic REG_SZ http://
www REG_SZ http://

Hope this helps.

Harris

Tom, thanks for your answer but after making the registry change I still got
the message that it couldn't be installed because of a newer or later
system. Harris

Tom S

My bad, we run a customized version of IE6 SP1that will install on XP SP2
machines. The MS one won't.

Maybe Nightowl's post (following) will help...

Harris

Hey Nightowl, checked her settings and all the prefixs match yours. Thanks
for thesuggestion. Harris

Harris

David, I tried the regsvr32 /i shdocvw, got the response back that said that
it worked ( don't remember if it said a dll was now registered or if it said
that a dll was now un-registered ), but it was a normal response rather than
a error of any kind - but the typing input problem is still there. In that
she readily accepts the having to type in the http:// and surfs so little,
I'm gonna quit playing with her machine. Thanks for your input, Harris

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Type
regsvr32 /i shdocvw
in Start Run