To clarify the link for CWShredder Update

Gary S. Terhune

Won't be a violation if we just *confiscate* it, <veg>. "For the greater
good", dontcha know.

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

Well I was thinking of retaining it for a higher purpose. If MS ever
(foolishly) made the decision to cancel the program again, I would allow the
usage of something like
<name> ex-MS-MVP now just Bindar Dundat.
Of course for the right dollar figure I *might* get talked into a licensing
agreement on a per-post basis.

--
George (Bindar Dundat ©) MS-MVP

For Windows Troubleshooting Tips see;
http://aumha.org/win4/a/tshoot.htm

| Won't be a violation if we just *confiscate* it, <veg>. "For the greater
| good", dontcha know.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP for Windows 9x
|
| George (Bindar Dundat) wrote:
| > No copyright violations *Please*.

| >> most MVPs, it's that they are possessed of a "well-rounded"
| >> education, <eg>.
| >>
| >> Unfortunately, G.G. copyrighted "Bindar Dundat", or we'd have been
| >> able to make it part of our official seal.
| >>
| >> Hmmm..... George is an MVP, now... Hey, gang, I think a discussion of
| >> eminent domain is in order! (Yeah, but then we'd have to put Rick
| >> "Nutcase" Rogers into the docket, too!)
| >>
| >> --
| >> Gary S. Terhune
| >> MS MVP for Windows 9x

I haven't yet downloded the site, but my subject stands. And my thanks to you and folks like you, who put a lot of wor
into trying to help others with PC problems.

Hugh Candlin

Gary S. Terhune said:
Won't be a violation if we just *confiscate* it, <veg>. "For the greater
good", dontcha know.

I am Bindar's less well known sibling.
You may snarf my moniker with my compliments.

Amdar Doindat

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

US of course (unless the exchange rate flips around).

--
George (Bindar Dundat ©) MS-MVP

For Windows Troubleshooting Tips see;
http://aumha.org/win4/a/tshoot.htm

| ROFL!
|
| (Is that $US or $CDN?)
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP for Windows 9x
|
| George (Bindar Dundat) wrote:
| > Well I was thinking of retaining it for a higher purpose. If MS ever
| > (foolishly) made the decision to cancel the program again, I would
| > allow the usage of something like
| > <name> ex-MS-MVP now just Bindar Dundat.
| > Of course for the right dollar figure I *might* get talked into a
| > licensing agreement on a per-post basis.

| >> greater good", dontcha know.
| >>
| >> --
| >> Gary S. Terhune
| >> MS MVP for Windows 9x

PCR

I THINK the marriage laws are undergoing a massive rewrite. Under my
authority & dominion, you are MARRIED NOW to "Susan Bradley, CPA aka
Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" and any/all prior husbands she may have.

Careful, or I will add in Svyatoslav Pidgorny! That is all! Goodbye!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
wrote in message | There's a law against having more than one. ;-o See? you can't have
*any*
| fun anywhere.
|
| Only a few small steps from: Everything is permitted except for that
which
| is forbidden-->everything is forbidden except that which is
| permitted -->everything which is not forbidden is compulsory.
| --
|
| LuckyStrike
| (e-mail address removed)
| --------------------------------------------------------------------
| | > I now pronounce you, man & wife!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > (e-mail address removed)
| > "LuckyStrike" <[email protected]>
| > wrote in message | > | Hi Susan,
| > |
| > | Well then, I believe that this has been resolved to a level of
mutual
| > | satisfaction for the two of us. I appreciate your further response
and
| > the
| > | tenor of it, and therefore wish to say I recognize what you are
| > saying, and
| > | why your position is what it is.
| > |
| > |<snip>
| > | See you around then Susan? I hope so.
| > |
| > | Best Regards,
| > | --
| > | LuckyStrike
| > | (e-mail address removed)
| >
| --------------------------------------------------------------------
| > |
| > | "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]"
| > <[email protected]>
| > | wrote in message | > | > No offense take, I was just trying to point out that these days
we
| > have

| > with a

| > been a
| > | tad
| > directing that
| > doubt a
| > | have
| > in
| > | high

| > above
| > | all
| > their
| > | PC

| > | "attack"
| > make
| > | clear
| > note

| > |
| > |

PCR

Don't expect me to take that one into my "Keepers". I already have
several Master Posts that say the same thing!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
(e-mail address removed)
| To further assure you, Susan's kewl (for a CPA <g,d&r.......>)
| --
| ~PAÞ
|
| LuckyStrike wrote:
| > Heh! You know Bear, if PCR had my moniker and Sig (that's sig not
"cig")
| > he'd include the whole blasted tune at the end of every post; be
grateful
| > that it is I, LS, man of few words that has chosen it! ;-D
| >
| > My thanks for illustrating to Susan the "source code" for my handle.
<S>

PA Bear

There are a couple of CWS variants that hack the Hosts file

e.g., I suspect, CWS.SmartKiller.

Suggestion: Intionally infect your machine-running-HOSTS-File-Manager with
CWS.SmartKiller 'n see what pans out.

PA Bear

Gary said:
If there's one qualification that is unspoken but which applies to most
MVPs, it's that they are possessed of a "well-rounded" education, <eg>.

Unfortunately, G.G. copyrighted "Bindar Dundat", or we'd have been able to
make it part of our official seal.

Hmmm..... George is an MVP, now... Hey, gang, I think a discussion of
eminent domain is in order! (Yeah, but then we'd have to put Rick
"Nutcase" Rogers into the docket, too!)

T-shirt! These guys'll make it for us:
http://www.computergear.com/tech-tees---ties.html

I have on order: http://www.cafeshops.com/clowncrack.3659621

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

Well, I do have a VPC that I could try it on. I haven't even tried connecting
that to the net. I do know that if the entire file gets hijacked that HFM will
catch it. but in those cases the whole file is being over-written and the check
number that is in there goes missing so it's easy to detect. Then you get a
warning that the file has been tampered with and a message box to start a
restore from backup or a fresh download. Which reminds me I have to ask GST how
that command line is working out since I haven't been using it. I think what I
might do is add a line count function to the app somehow so if anything gets
added or deleted (it shouldn't, but.....) it would get picked up by HFM. Right
now the System/Hidden/Read Only attributes are set so the file is locked but if
Spybot can get around that then something else could too.

--
George (Bindar Dundat ©) MS-MVP

For Windows Troubleshooting Tips see;
http://aumha.org/win4/a/tshoot.htm

| TonyKlein, our Spyware God, just wrote:
|
| > There are a couple of CWS variants that hack the Hosts file
|
| e.g., I suspect, CWS.SmartKiller.
|
| Suggestion: Intionally infect your machine-running-HOSTS-File-Manager with
| CWS.SmartKiller 'n see what pans out.
| --
| ~PA Bear
|
| George (Bindar Dundat) wrote:
| > Spybot got them. I just had the same report from Mike Burgess. See if
| > you were using my HOSTS file manager there would be a backup there and
| > you could just restore. That'll teach ya.

| >> (Spybot? CWS.SmartKiller?) had removed them from my list!

Gary S. Terhune

I have it scheduled for 6 am daily. Last HOSTS update was 2/24, mine has
2/25 date, but the time on it is 10:49 PM--which is when I manually updated
to make sure I had a fresh one before passing it on to my daughter. Because
I add back in Custom URLs, that would make my timestamp sync to whenever I
run update.

I don't know if your app checks timestamp and only updates if newer is
available (which might get strange if newer comes out but I then add custom
URL before update kicks in--timestamp would be later on my file than that of
MVPS...), or if it just replaces file regardless. If the former, then it
would appear to be working properly--if the latter, then something's wrong.
Best I can do is make sure I check every morning until a new one appears,
and keepa my hands off until then.

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

Are you looking at the file date itself or using the info pane?

--
George (Bindar Dundat ©) MS-MVP

For Windows Troubleshooting Tips see;
http://aumha.org/win4/a/tshoot.htm

| I have it scheduled for 6 am daily. Last HOSTS update was 2/24, mine has
| 2/25 date, but the time on it is 10:49 PM--which is when I manually updated
| to make sure I had a fresh one before passing it on to my daughter. Because
| I add back in Custom URLs, that would make my timestamp sync to whenever I
| run update.
|
| I don't know if your app checks timestamp and only updates if newer is
| available (which might get strange if newer comes out but I then add custom
| URL before update kicks in--timestamp would be later on my file than that of
| MVPS...), or if it just replaces file regardless. If the former, then it
| would appear to be working properly--if the latter, then something's wrong.
| Best I can do is make sure I check every morning until a new one appears,
| and keepa my hands off until then.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP for Windows 9x
|
| George (Bindar Dundat) wrote:
| > Well, I do have a VPC that I could try it on. I haven't even tried
| > connecting that to the net. I do know that if the entire file gets
| > hijacked that HFM will catch it. but in those cases the whole file is
| > being over-written and the check number that is in there goes missing
| > so it's easy to detect. Then you get a warning that the file has
| > been tampered with and a message box to start a restore from backup
| > or a fresh download. Which reminds me I have to ask GST how that
| > command line is working out since I haven't been using it. I think
| > what I might do is add a line count function to the app somehow so if
| > anything gets added or deleted (it shouldn't, but.....) it would get
| > picked up by HFM. Right now the System/Hidden/Read Only attributes
| > are set so the file is locked but if Spybot can get around that then
| > something else could too.

| >> e.g., I suspect, CWS.SmartKiller.
| >>
| >> Suggestion: Intionally infect your
| >> machine-running-HOSTS-File-Manager with CWS.SmartKiller 'n see what
| >> pans out. --
| >> ~PA Bear

Gary S. Terhune

Filedate is 2/25. HFM's "HOSTS File Details" lists "Last Updated 4 days
ago", i.e., the 24th, which matches filedate at MVPS.

However, I note that with the /U switch, it's not backing it up--last backup
was 16 days ago, when I started this experiment. Your Update doesn't
automatically back up previous? It's an optional step? Thinking about it,
this would make sense, sort of...

Have to think about whether backup would make sense as part of /U function.
Wouldn't want automatic backup of infested HOSTS file, would we, now? Not
one that overwrote a good backup. Then again, what does it matter if
retrieving another from MVPS is rather simple?

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

There is no reason for a backup to be created at that point. It uses the same
method as scanreg does. It makes a backup on the first boot of the day and
keeps 2 backup copies. It also creates a backup if you force an update from the
panel.

--
George (Bindar Dundat ©) MS-MVP

For Windows Troubleshooting Tips see;
http://aumha.org/win4/a/tshoot.htm

| Filedate is 2/25. HFM's "HOSTS File Details" lists "Last Updated 4 days
| ago", i.e., the 24th, which matches filedate at MVPS.
|
| However, I note that with the /U switch, it's not backing it up--last backup
| was 16 days ago, when I started this experiment. Your Update doesn't
| automatically back up previous? It's an optional step? Thinking about it,
| this would make sense, sort of...
|
| Have to think about whether backup would make sense as part of /U function.
| Wouldn't want automatic backup of infested HOSTS file, would we, now? Not
| one that overwrote a good backup. Then again, what does it matter if
| retrieving another from MVPS is rather simple?
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP for Windows 9x
|
| George (Bindar Dundat) wrote:
| > Are you looking at the file date itself or using the info pane?

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

Haven't seen him in years. I think he changed his name, and I may also have to
doodat.