Thunderbird- comments

ms

I have been using the generic family since Netscape 3.1 days, through
Roundabout/Phoenix/Pagasus (IIRC), that became Mozilla Thunderbird.

Thunderbird has worked fine for me for several years. But several months
ago, it started showing multiple headers for each post in a newsgroup. This
same problem happened in W98SE, then on a different machine in W2K. Same
problem with 3 versions of Thunderbird. Virus scans and malware scans show
nothing.

Recently, with help from Mike Dee and wwald, I did some steps to try to
correct this problem. This included uninstall, then manually cleaning out
every entry in W2K, then using RegSeeker to clean it out of the registry.

Reboot, then a clean new install of TB 1.5. The first day was fine. With no
changes on my hard drive, no reboot, the next day, TB had the problem
again. So it developed the problem by itself.

TB has a very nice GUI and newsgroup display IMO, like the old Netscape.

But I've come to the conclusion that Thunderbird is not reliable, which for
a program is for me a heavy comment to make.

Advice on this?

Mike Sa

Jeff Needle

ms said:
[...]

Downloading and installing SeaMonkey will accomplish a lot, IMO. It uses
the same datafiles as TB, so there is no upgrade path. And the mail is very
stable, in my experience.

It's from the Mozilla people. You ought to give it a shot.

Lou

ms said:
[...]

Post in the TB support group on news.mozilla.com server for real support on
this.

Lou

John Corliss

ms said:
[...]

I don't have any problems whatsoever with Thunderbird. Sounds to me
like your ISP might be screwing up.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

bassbag

[...]

Im not sure about newsposts but i know that if you dont compact your mail
folders regularly it can have unforseen problems.Could this be a possible
cause?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders
me

ms

From: "Jeff Needle" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Thunderbird- comments
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:47:40 -0700

Downloading and installing SeaMonkey will accomplish a lot, IMO. It uses
the same datafiles as TB, so there is no upgrade path. And the mail is very
stable, in my experience.

It's from the Mozilla people. You ought to give it a shot.

Thanks, will look into it. In this ng. I've seen a comment that it is
loaded with extras, the term was "bloated" ???

Mike Sa.

ms

From: (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:50:51 GMT
[...]

Lou, I got no support there. That was where I started, even reposted, they
never bothered to answer. And my problem was a very basic one to use TB.
The Firefox forum is much better.

Mike Sa

ms

From: John Corliss <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:51:26 -0700

Mike,
I don't have any problems whatsoever with Thunderbird. Sounds to me
like your ISP might be screwing up.

John, individual.net has been very reliable, and Xnews and 40tudeDialog
seem to work fine in individual.net.

My ISP, Copper.net, has been rock-solid.

And, of course, TB worked for years for me just fine.

Mike Sa

badgolferman

John, individual.net has been very reliable, and Xnews and
40tudeDialog seem to work fine in individual.net.

My ISP, Copper.net, has been rock-solid.

And, of course, TB worked for years for me just fine.

Mike Sa

Have you tried installing an older version to see if it is truly a new
Thunderbird issue? Perhaps there is something on your computer causing
this problem. I would remove all traces of Mozilla from folder
structure and registry then do a reinstallation of a prior issue before
giving up on a program I like.

ms

From: bassbag <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 21:25:09 +0100

Im not sure about newsposts but i know that if you dont compact your mail
folders regularly it can have unforseen problems.Could this be a possible
cause?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders
me

Thanks, but this relates to email. When in the past, I used TB also as a
mail client, I compacted. Haven't since I stopped getting much email
recently, but when I compacted, it had no effect on the newsgroup multiple
posts.

Mike Sa

Jeff Needle

Downloading and installing SeaMonkey will accomplish a lot, IMO. It uses
Thanks, will look into it. In this ng. I've seen a comment that it is
loaded with extras, the term was "bloated" ???

Mike Sa.

Nah, not in my opinion. I think it's very good. It only has an occasional
problem with newsgroups -- it doesn't seem to hold on to your username and
password very well. I understand it has to do with how it talks to the
newsserver.

Lou

From: (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:50:51 GMT
[...]

Interesting. I think I know some folks that hang out there.

Lou

Mike Dee

Thanks, but this relates to email. When in the past, I used TB
also as a mail client, I compacted. Haven't since I stopped
getting much email recently, but when I compacted, it had no
effect on the newsgroup multiple posts.

Your problem can still be newsserver related. Individual is a good
service, but (any newsserver) when doing maintenance, their database
can get out of whack causing multiple posts to occur in clients
newsreaders. Probably unlikely in your case, as you've already said
it doesn't happen with Xnews etc.

You can check with their local help or info newssgroups for any info
as to work being done with their server or interruptions anyone has
or might be experiencing, though.

Anyway try this. Go to your Thunderbird profile (xxxxxxxx.default),
open folder named "News" inside this will be another folder with the
name of the newsserver giving you multiple posts. Open this folder
and delete all files with the filename suffix ending ".msf"

Close up and restart Thunderbird.

Warning: make sure that Thunderbird or it's quicklaunch app is shut
down before you make ANY changes to your profile folder. That is, do
"Ctrl, Alt, Delete" to get your Task Manager up and see if you can
see any Thunderbird or related application running, if so, kill it
before you make changes to your profile.

If that doesn't help, maybe it's time you just went with one of the
stand-alone clients that don't give you this kind of grief.

John Corliss

ms said:
John, individual.net has been very reliable, and Xnews and 40tudeDialog
seem to work fine in individual.net.

My ISP, Copper.net, has been rock-solid.

And, of course, TB worked for years for me just fine.

All right Mike, you've convinced me that the problem lies with TB then.
Have you done the following?

First, start TB and right click on your usenet account name, select
"Properties".

In the window that opens, "Account Settings", make sure the account name
is selected and then press the "Remove Account" button to delete the
account.

Close TB.

Go to your profile folder for TB, the one that has a subfolder named
"News". The location of your TB profile folder varies from version to
version of Windows. I don't know which version you're using.

Delete everything in that folder. This will destroy any corrupt .dat,
..msf and .rc files for that account which you may have. Thunderbird
doesn't destroy those files when you unsubscribe from a group or even
delete a usenet account, so you must do it manually. In fact, usually
the profile folder itself isn't touched when you uninstall Thunderbird,
so uninstalling and reinstalling TB wouldn't do you any good.

Restart Thunderbird and recreate your usnet account, redownload the
group names list and resubscribe to alt.comp.freeware.

This should correct the problem I hope.

--

John said:
[...]

You could re-name rather than delete some of that stuff in case you want/need it back.

ms

Have you tried installing an older version to see if it is truly a new
Thunderbird issue? Perhaps there is something on your computer causing
this problem. I would remove all traces of Mozilla from folder
structure and registry then do a reinstallation of a prior issue before
giving up on a program I like.

Good advice, but yes, I did exactly that, several times, before writing
the OP.

[...]

Thanks to all, good advice, pretty much what I did before posting the OP.

I will try one more time based upon the advice, will post back. It's hard
to give up a useful program that worked for a long time.

Mike Sa

John Corliss

You could re-name rather than delete some of that stuff in case you want/need it back.

You could, especially the filters file (msgFilterRules.dat) if you have
one. However I've tried that in the past and even when I restored that
file, my filters were all missing. It's probably referred to by some
other file.

Starting fresh like I describe though, usually fixes things.