The volume does not contain a recognised file system

Reaction score
Hi,

When I access A: from Windows 2000, the following message appears:

'The disk in drive A is not formatted

Do you want to format it now?'

When I access A: from the MSDOS prompt, the following message appears:

'The volume does not contain a recognised file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.'

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Vik.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
vskalra, have you tried another floppy disk in the drive?

If this problem only occurs with one disk, it could be that the file system on the disk is corrupt, or the disk itself is damaged. In either situation you can use this utilty to recover the data, then try to reformat it. If is is physically damaged, throw away the disk.

If the A: drive produces the same error for all disks you try, the drive is most likely the cause. I had this same error the other day, it turned out that I'd fitted the Floppy IDE cable backwards (the twist in the cable should be at the floppy disk drive end, not the motherboard end).

Or, it could be a more serious problem, such as a misaligned drive, or a damaged drive. In both of these cases drive replacement is neccessary.

More information is necessary; have you just installed the floppy disk drive, or has this problem just suddenly occured?

Reaction score
Hi,

The problem occurs for all disks. And has been occuring for a while. Mind you these disks are fairly old. So will try with some new disks first, otherwise check the cabling and if required replace the floppy drive.

Thanks for you help,

Vik.

Ask a Question