The screen saver "pasword protect" won't re-open to the welcome screen.

G

I have my screen saver set to "on resume, password protect". Prior to a week ago the computer would re-activate to the welcome screen so that my unprotected guest account was accessible. Without me making any changes (maybe an automatic security update?) the computer now re-activates to a locked screen that requires my password.

How can I have the -screen saver-password protection- resume to the welcome screen so that others can use the guest account

Thanks

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Change the way users log on and log off. Make sure that Fast User Switching is enabled.

G

Doug

Both the "use the welcome screen" and "use fast user switching" boxes are checked. To

----- Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote: ----

Go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Change the way users log on and log off. Make sure that Fast User Switching is enabled

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Displa
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixe
http://www.dougknox.co

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Tom,

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look in the right pane for the values called AllowMultipleTSSessions and LogonType. Both of these values should be set to 1. If not, double click the value that needs to be changed and set it to 1.

G

Doug

Both values were already set to 1. Anything else I can try? Thanks, To

Tom

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogo

Look in the right pane for the values called AllowMultipleTSSessions and LogonType. Both of these values should be set to 1. If not, double click the value that needs to be changed and set it to 1.

--

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Not that comes to mind at this point. You haven't by chance installed a program called Autopatcher XP, have you?

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

You're in about the best place for help, there is, Tom.

Have you tried disabling the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching, then reenabling them?

Also, go to Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC

Check the Fast User Switching service and the Terminal Services service. They should both be set to Manual start, and should be Started.

G

Doug,

The services.msc were set as you said they should be. I then unchecked the welcome screen and fast user switching and rebooted. Of course, it opened to the locked window and needed my password. When I went to re-check the welcome screen, a window opened saying I had to disable "offline file settings", which I have never seen nor heard of before. When I did this I was able to check the welcome screen and fast user switching as they were before. However, the computer still opens to the password protected-locked screen when resuming from the screen saver and not the welcome screen

To

You're in about the best place for help, there is, Tom

Have you tried disabling the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching, then reenabling them

Also, go to Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC

Check the Fast User Switching service and the Terminal Services service. They should both be set to Manual start, and should be Started

--

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Tom,

Is your computer part of a domain? Or set to be part of a domain?

G

Hi Doug

Your last post was blank. I'm hoping it was the critical tip to set me straight! Tom

G

Doug,

I am not part of a domain. Can something have happened because of an automatic security update? Tom

----- Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote: -----

Tom,

Is your computer part of a domain? Or set to be part of a domain?

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Its always possible that a bug snuck in somewhere, Tom. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas at this point. The only remaining option is to click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 Go to the Advanced tab. Is the Require Users to press CTRL-ALT-DEL box checked under Secure Logon? If so, uncheck it. If its greyed out, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

In the right pane, look for DisableCAD. Double click this value and set it to 0 (zero)

G

Doug

Your last tip was negitive. In talking with my guest user he told me that the access to his previously remembered user name and password protected web sites were lost and had to be reentered. This also happened to me but at the time I didn't relate it to the welcome screen-locked password problem. I don't know if they're related. I appreciate you trying to help me, but not resuming to the welcome screen is a problem for me. Perhaps I'll wait a week or 2 and ask again. Thanks very much, To

Its always possible that a bug snuck in somewhere, Tom. Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas at this point. The only remaining option is to click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 Go to the Advanced tab. Is the Require Users to press CTRL-ALT-DEL box checked under Secure Logon? If so, uncheck it. If its greyed out, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\syste

In the right pane, look for DisableCAD. Double click this value and set it to 0 (zero

--

Ask a Question