THE PC IS DEAD! (?) Article link, your opinion?

ToolPackinMama

Personal computers aren't going anywhere, no matter what the troll
says. But there are plenty of additional uses for computing power.

I wanted to be the first kid on my block to be wet-wired, back when I
first fell in love with computers. Now, there are too many greedheads
who are trying to control people via computers, software, and the net...
so I actually have become a bit reactionary in my attitude.

ToolPackinMama

This happened to me last night. I went to see a movie (Hugo) and while
waiting to be seated for the film I had a drink in the in-theater bar.

A young couple who were on a date with each other sat side by side at
the bar with their little smartphones out, and ignored each other
completely. ON A DATE.

Rene Lamontagne

"ToolPackinMama" wrote in message
This happened to me last night. I went to see a movie (Hugo) and while
waiting to be seated for the film I had a drink in the in-theater bar.

A young couple who were on a date with each other sat side by side at
the bar with their little smartphones out, and ignored each other
completely. ON A DATE.

Gads, if I couldn't do better than that on a date I would go jump off of a
cliff.

The world is getting to be a sad place.

Regards, Rene

Davej

What is your opinion about such a development?

Since desktops are about the same as servers and there is still plenty
of demand for servers I don't see any big overall change, except that
low-end motherboards may become more rare.

Man-wai Chang

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/39163/

I think the PC is more important than ever. You?

Android and iOS devices are just PCs with a deceptive contraption. You
still can't do serious ERP, CAD, Office, Photoshop, ... on them. :)

--
@~@ You have the right to remain silence.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

ToolPackinMama

Since desktops are about the same as servers and there is still plenty
of demand for servers I don't see any big overall change, except that
low-end motherboards may become more rare.

Huh! I hadn't thought of that, but you are probably right.

The growing reliance on little handhelds will certainly reduce the
demand for DIY motherboards and other components.

Anybody out there assembling homebuilt smartphones and tablet PCs?

Gordon

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/39163/

I think the PC is more important than ever. You?

This is a case of the new must mean the old is dead. Has the number of
pencils made dropped to zero? Far from it. Has books, and news papers gone
into history. Has the motor car gone into history? Nope.

A pencil will write when other forms of writing have long given up. A pencil
writes in all temperatures on all sorts of surfaces and positions.

What we are seeing is the forking of the hardware. Desktop machines will
survive, albeit in less numbers as the alternatives spread.

If you want to shift a really, really heavy load then a ship is the item of
choice, for all else fails. Yes, we still ship goods literally. For despite
all other formas of transport a ship will carry heavy loads with less energy
per km

Patrick

Gordon said:
This is a case of the new must mean the old is dead. Has the number of
pencils made dropped to zero? Far from it. Has books, and news papers
gone into history. Has the motor car gone into history? Nope.

A pencil will write when other forms of writing have long given up. A
pencil writes in all temperatures on all sorts of surfaces and
positions.

But what about writing on 'Tablets of stone'?

<SNIP>

Jim Nugent

Man-wai Chang said:
Android and iOS devices are just PCs with a deceptive contraption. You
still can't do serious ERP, CAD, Office, Photoshop, ... on them. :)

I think you can safely say that PC's are generally needed to *create*
content (see the last line above), while "pads" and smart phones are used to
*consume* content. That being said, the number of content creators
is small compared to the number of consumers.

But without the creators, there would be no content to consume.