Testing a game port

Hello,

I have WinXP Pro w/SP2 and all updates. I'm running on a P4-2.8GHz w/1GB
RAM and am using an Intel D865PERLL motherboard. I installed a Crystal
Fusion sound card just for the game port since there is no game port on the
motherboard or any other cards I've installed. The Crystal Fusion card was
detected and automatically installed with no problems. When I look at the
system hardware properties this card is shown to have been installed with no
conflicts, and in fact the sound part of it works fine.

I have a game pack of ATARI arcade games which works fine with the keyboard
and mouse but does not recognize the analog joystick I've plugged into the
game port.

My main question is this: Is there some reasonable way I can test if the
joystick really works - some freeware test program or possibly some free
games that are known to work with XP? At this point I'm concerned that maybe
the ATARI game pack itself is simply at fault.

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell

Jim Macklin

Not all types/models of joysticks are supported by XP, is
the joystick you have listed as being XP compatible?

Have you checked the properties for the MIDI game port and
made sure it is enabled?

"Ray Mitchell" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I have WinXP Pro w/SP2 and all updates. I'm running on a
P4-2.8GHz w/1GB
| RAM and am using an Intel D865PERLL motherboard. I
installed a Crystal
| Fusion sound card just for the game port since there is no
game port on the
| motherboard or any other cards I've installed. The
Crystal Fusion card was
| detected and automatically installed with no problems.
When I look at the
| system hardware properties this card is shown to have been
installed with no
| conflicts, and in fact the sound part of it works fine.
|
| I have a game pack of ATARI arcade games which works fine
with the keyboard
| and mouse but does not recognize the analog joystick I've
plugged into the
| game port.
|
| My main question is this: Is there some reasonable way I
can test if the
| joystick really works - some freeware test program or
possibly some free
| games that are known to work with XP? At this point I'm
concerned that maybe
| the ATARI game pack itself is simply at fault.
|
| Thanks,
| Ray Mitchell

Try windows xp,control-panel,game devices,open for the joystick and run
the tests....Also,I believe that going to run,type:DXDIAG 2nd to last
page,it
also can test youre gameport.

Thanks for your suggestions. My problem was a fundamental one. I didn't
realize that the joystick actually be installed as a separate device! I
assumed that somehow the system would simply realize that a joystick was
connected to the game port. Stupid me! It works great now.

Ray