Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Atari® returns to the living room with a retro-inspired, completely modern video computer system!

Atari VCS transforms how you will engage with your TV, with a nod to Atari’s rich history of pioneering interactive entertainment and hardware innovation.

It’s from Atari, so of course there are classic arcade games, plus the latest modern and Indie PC titles from a wide variety of independent developers.

100+ CLASSIC ATARI GAMES PRE-LOADED ON EVERY VCS & THERE IS SO MUCH MORE
Atari Vault includes more than 100 all-time classics in their original arcade and/or 2600 formats and is ready to play as soon as you connect your TV.

AN OPEN AND SECURE PLATFORM FOR ENDLESS POSSIBILITY
Atari loves the passionate and dedicated creators and collectors out there who have kept our classic consoles alive with new and exciting games and we hope the new Atari VCS will inspire even more creativity!

Access the Linux Sandbox, add more storage via cloud or USB, run multiple operating systems at once, load Homebrew games or customize your own unique platform.

Atari VCS brings a versatile mix of ingredients to get you started:

Atari VCS RAM upgraded to 8GB and Atari confirm you can put a normal Linux distribution on it

While I remain quite sceptical of the Atari VCS, I'm still pretty interested in it as a Linux gaming device. Atari recently did a Q&A blog post detailing some interesting information about it. The post is written by Rob Wyatt, the System Architect for the Atari VCS device. If the name Rob Wyatt doesn't ring a bell—they were the original Xbox system architect.

What's really interesting as well, is their explanation of how you can run another Linux distribution alongside their official AtariOS:

This line also got me:

We never want to lose sight that it’s your hardware to do with as you want.

Thought some of you gamer folk might find this interesting. :cool:

You can use all your peripherals that you presently own which along with the ability to run other os's will make this a killer I recon.

USE YOUR OWN PERIPHERALS AND ACCESSORIES
Atari VCS provides universal peripheral connectivity, so it also works just as well with your other PC input devices, including:

• Bluetooth and USB game controllers
  • Mouse and Keyboard
  • External Storage
  • Webcams
  • Microphones
  • External Speakers
  • Headphones

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Will we be able to play AAA games like Star Wars Battlefront or Call of Duty?

You will find out if you read the articles.
breakfast.gif

Ask a Question