Telewest - Router question

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a wireless router for home like this one.
The thing is I read on the netgear site in the system requirements that it requires a cable modem :confused:

Now I remember my old boss saying when he setup his old man with a router that he still had the cable modem, which was provided, in the chain.
And I thought at the time that it was a bit strange, as I thought the router would be a straight replacement for the modem.

Is this the case?

Cheers,

Rich

Reaction score
Are you with Telewest already?
Sometimes they provide one which will comply with their system at a reduced cost to the customer.

Reaction score
Yes, I am currently with Telewest at the moment.
I just find it a bit strange to still have to use the modem :confused:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Its the same for all cable internet - you need the modem to decript the signal, there are no combined cable modem/routers.

I'm with Telewest and use a Belkin F5D7230 Wireless Router - its been excellent, easy to set up and no problems in over 2 years :thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh man that just sucks! :mad:

I didn't realise that I must say :blush:
I'm runnin' low on power sockets as it is! lol
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
mudfrog said:
I'm looking into buying a wireless router for home like this one.
The thing is I read on the netgear site in the system requirements that it requires a cable modem :confused:

Now I remember my old boss saying when he setup his old man with a router that he still had the cable modem, which was provided, in the chain.
And I thought at the time that it was a bit strange, as I thought the router would be a straight replacement for the modem.

Is this the case?

Cheers,

Rich

Yep you need a cable modem router.

I did,nt look into how wireless work before i bought one.

Do not buy bt router because they are for land line only and not cable.

At the time i know tesco where selling cable modem router. What will work on telewest , and other cable modem.

Just check on the box it will work on cable modem router. Just ask the person working there.

Mind was linksys hu200 router.

Linksys have a free helpline to help you set it up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I've been misunderstood :(

I know that I have to buy a Cable/DSL specific router.
But I didn't know whether I still needed my current telewest supplied modem in the chain along with a Cable/DSL router :confused:

As some other people here at work just have the router and got rid of the modem that the ISP originally provided. They are on ADSL rather than Cable/DSL mind you.

Cheers,

Rich

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Not misunderstood by me mudfrog ;)

My advice still stands - you need to keep your supplied cable modem in the chain and add a Cable/DSL Router.

Those on ADSL are able to use a router which has a ADSL Modem built in so they can bin the modem - unfortunately you can't for cable.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Not misunderstood by me mudfrog ;)

My advice still stands - you need to keep your supplied cable modem in the chain and add a Cable/DSL Router.

Those on ADSL are able to use a router which has a ADSL Modem built in so they can bin the modem - unfortunately you can't for cable.

:thumb:

Thanks Adywebb. I wasn't questioning your advice, just what michael555 was saying which I kinda new already.

Cheers,

Rich

Ask a Question