TCP-IP Printing absent when I try and install Printer

Reaction score
TCP-IP Printing Absent when trying to install HP 2600n printer. Let me first start out by saying I had the famous spooling problem. So I went to Micro Soft support and downloaded the Tools to clean up the spooler. I think it has removed my TCP-IP and USB options because when I try and install a printer, I don't have the TCP-IP option nor USB option anymore. Is there some place to get this back? My Spooler problem is gone, but I cannot install a printer unless I use a LPT port, which I do not want to do. I want to use a IP Printer on my Network. Thanks in advance. Do you think I need to a whole new install of XP? I have been working on this on and off for the past 14 hours.

Dell 610 latitude PC
Windows XP
SP2 installed
HP 2600n Printer

Reaction score
Working Solution is below

After much time and effort here is the answer to the above problem:

Check to see that you have the following files on your computer: You can use File search to see if you still have these.
tcpmon.dll
tcpmon.ini
tcpmonui.dll
tcpmib.dll

Copy the lines below to a file with the extension *reg. Launch it and it will re-add the monitor entries to the registry. Don't forget to save you reg before trying this.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard TCP/IP Port]
"Driver"="tcpmon.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports]
"LprAckTimeout"=dword:000000b4
"StatusUpdateInterval"=dword:0000000a
"StatusUpdateEnabled"=dword:00000001

Then Reboot PC

This fixed my problem.

All the above Registry lines had been deleted from my computer.

Comments or suggestion are welcome. I tried to put the file I created but it would not let me.

Rich

Last edited:

Ask a Question