task pad Snap-in failed to initialize

aptrsn

In my first attempt to create a custom snap-in that would allow for a Site
Administrator to reset and enable accounts, the user comes up with error
message:

Snap-in failed to initialize.
Name: <unknown>
CLSID:{E355E538-1C2E-11DO-8C37-00C04FD8FE93}

I found a KB article that addresses a similiar problem (KB826282 ) but the
path variable mentioned is already entered. Any ideas as to what could be
causing this problem?

aptrsn

I think I may have found my answer, but maybe someone can confirm this:

Does the adminpak.msi for XP have to be installed on the machine of the user
trying to access the custom task pad? If so, is it possible to only install
a portion of the adminpak.msi (ie. AD Users and Computers) on the designated
user's PC?

Sriram.V

Hi
This error message comes when you start a Microsoft Management Console (
MMC)

This happens because of an orphaned registry entry because of a program
associated with MMC snap-in is removed

First ignore this message in the symptom section and start MMC

Goto console and click add/remove snap-in

Click on Orphaned snap-in. It generally does not have an icon

Click on remove , close the add/remove snap-in and save the changes

For more information you can check this kb article
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297064

Thank you

Regards

Sriram.V