Taking ages to load pages.

Reaction score
It's seems to be taking ages to navigate round the pcreview site this afternoon.
Taking anything up to 1 minute to load a page & I gave up trying to look at Todays Post tab.
Anyone else having problems?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It seems ok from this end - but I'd be interested to know if others are having access problems?

Did it give an error, or does it just take a while to load?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The main page buffering has gone well, so I'll see if I can roll it out to other query intensive areas of the site to help lessen the load - that should help with any speed problems :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The latest articles box on the side menu is now cached, so that should help things - I'll go through the site tonight and see what else I can cache. It just takes 4 lines of code, but it should speed things up a little for each thing I can find :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've made another code change now that might solve problems people have been having. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot - if anyone notices any problems then please do let me know
nod.gif

The fix is a bit experimental... as I've basically removed a very long database query and replaced it with an "=1" as that is what the answer should be each time in this instance. I don't see why it won't work, but you never know with computers ;)

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
"Parsing functions.php Time before: 1202758347.58 Time after: 1202758347.61 Time taken: 0.0265707969666"

This specific error occured when accessing the homepage (www.pcreview.co.uk) at about 7.30pm today.

That was all that was on the page.

Similar error when accessing any other pages, lasted no more than a minute.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The site has been running really slowly for me the last few days, gotta say.

Some link attempts have actually timed out.

Right at this moment though, it's ok.

I was going to mention it but thought I'd give it a little while.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
"Parsing functions.php Time before: 1202758347.58 Time after: 1202758347.61 Time taken: 0.0265707969666"

Thanks for posting that, that was just as I made the change - the cache grabbed the error page so I had to quickly refresh it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
The site has been running really slowly for me the last few days, gotta say.

Some link attempts have actually timed out.

Right at this moment though, it's ok.

I was actually going to mention it but thought I'd give it a little while.

Does it happen at any time in the day or on certain pages (or just all pages all the time?). I'm going to work on speeding things up today and tomorrow :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It was a fairly constant thing, not linked to any times of day, but the slowness did vary.

All seems ok now though, best it's been for several days for me.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully that means these changes have made a difference :D

I think I've cracked the slow poll problem which has been a problem for a long time - I've spend a few hours on it and put a possible solution in place which I've not been able to do for months :confused: Not sure if its the wheatabix for breakfast, but I've been trying to fix these problems for ages and not been able to think of a way to change the code.

If the code works as I hope, polls should be much faster - which should clear the database slowness when someone votes.

Phew... I need a beer :lol:

I've got all the files backed up in case these changes go pairshaped, but from what I can tell it looks like it works :)

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Got bad news. The search facility times out: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\pcreview.co.uk\httpdocs\forums\includes\db_mysql.php on line 212

And some forums take ages to load until some similar fatal error occurs.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
anyone else been having problems getting onto this site? i haven't been able to get on here since thursday

i had a few connection timeouts so i pinged the site and was getting around 130ms response but the site wouldn't load

i am at my GF's so it could be their dodgy connection

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
anyone else been having problems getting onto this site? i haven't been able to get on here since thursday

i had a few connection timeouts so i pinged the site and was getting around 130ms response but the site wouldn't load

i am at my GF's so it could be their dodgy connection

Really :eek: :eek: :eek:

If this happens again can you try typing the site into www.alertra.com and see if it appears on their list? That should ping it from other non-local locations.

I'll do a server restart tonight and look in to this.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm running a MySQL Repair/Optimise query now to see if that was the problem for anything, but I'm also setting up a slow query log to see if there are any other runaway processes.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking at something that should be able to cache posts, but I need to read in to it before I enable it - I'll do this tomorrow and report back once things are in place :)

Edit : I've done the reading up tonight and it seems straight forward, so I'm enabling it now. I don't know if it will make a big difference, but hopefully all of these little changes will add up.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The post caching seems to be working well, but I'm going to work on the main page of the site today to try and speed that up somehow. I think I can do this with a little bit of AJAX to load the new post information (that members see) as the rest of the page loads.

Viewing threads should be faster if the postcache makes much difference :)

Ask a Question