System restore

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Me again, looking for help. I'm not sure what happened but my laptop is acting up big time....i can't do anything at all with it after gets to the desktop. I'm actually typing this post in safe mode and the laptop is s*** quick in here. Anyway my question is, should i be able to do a system restore in safe mode( i can't) so i can go back a couple of weeks. Has anyone ever seen a situation where opening a pdf causes immediate shutting down of a pc ?? I'm scanning for viruses at the moment.

Any help would be great.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Folks,
Me again, looking for help. I'm not sure what happened but my laptop is acting up big time....i can't do anything at all with it after gets to the desktop. I'm actually typing this post in safe mode and the laptop is s*** quick in here. Anyway my question is, should i be able to do a system restore in safe mode( i can't) so i can go back a couple of weeks. Has anyone ever seen a situation where opening a pdf causes immediate shutting down of a pc ?? I'm scanning for viruses at the moment.

Any help would be great.

Zzzzz

You should be able to do a restore from "Safe Mode". And yes I have seen it before with.pdf's. What are you scanning with ? Still the same old AV you had before. If all els fails use your instalation disk to do a restore/repair.............

Edit: Reason for it been so fast in safe mode is, becaus it isn't running 99% of the services it usually does. Safe mode only runs things that are need for a "Safe" start so you can hav a nosey around and see what is wrong...

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
You should be able to do a restore from "Safe Mode". And yes I have seen it before with.pdf's. What are you scanning with ? Still the same old AV you had before. If all els fails use your instalation disk to do a restore/repair.............

Edit: Reason for it been so fast in safe mode is, becaus it isn't running 99% of the services it usually does. Safe mode only runs things that are need for a "Safe" start so you can hav a nosey around and see what is wrong...

Thanks MadX,

For some reason it wouldn't let me do a restore....i had a nosy in the start up menu and found a java program i downloaded the other to try and play the games one of the other members talked about.
Anyway long-short of it, i turned it off plus a few others and the pc is working again, but the text and icons are gone very small now but the speed seems improved and at least i can get past the desktop and everything seems fine.....i might scrap Vipre and try avira later on.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Thanks MadX,

.i might scrap Vipre and try avira later on.

I think that might be a very good thing to do, well give it a shot anyway. Be careful what you shut down in Sart up, you can cause all kinds of havoc if you shut the wrong thing down. Did you download JRE from Java.com or some other link ? I have it on my PC and laptops as I am sure most people do (in steps Mucks to say he doesn't :p ) and haver never had a problem.

Ask a Question