Windows XP Startup Programs

Reaction score
Hello,

I have noticed that some keys for startup programs that I have uninstalled are still in the register and cannot be deleted with any program or manually, they keep coming back. These programs, if I remember correctly, were active in the system tray when I uninstalled them, I didn't know I would then have this problem of course..
What can I do now to get rid of those entries in the register? I have tried everything, from msconfig to other programs, I also tried to get rid of them in safe mode... nothing... they come back every time....

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Desperate

Reaction score
I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks, Kill the Popup, Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and Adware 6.
I also tried the registry (directly). It's impossible to delete them.... They are so annoying....

Desperate

Reaction score
For the norton crap, go to the symantec site and itheir support areas, download the removal tool for your version of system works.
For registry editing, it is best to do that as a user with administrator authority.
There is no reason you should not be able to remove adaware or the pop tool or easycd directly from the registry.
If you have spybot search and destroy installed, go to advanced mode, and try the startup tool in the tools folder.
What error are you getting on your attempt to uninstall them?

You may also want to look at services in the computer management folder in control panel. See if any of theprograms have a service running, if so, you can stop it there, and in properties disable it. If the running servie is what's stopping you, then this should allow you to remove them.

Reaction score
Apparently the problem was caused by a faulty installation of the new version of Adaware (it blocked all changes to the registry instead of asking me).
I've fixed the problem now after reinstalling it.
Thanks everyone for your help.
D.

Ask a Question