Windows Vista Startup in safe Mode: Problem

Reaction score
Since last April I have been trying to install Service Pack 1 without success. Today I tried again and got to 18% of Stage 1 in configuration before the system reverted. I then decided to try and install it while in safe mode (though I didn't think this would make any difference. I pressed F8 at the appropriate time and selected Safe Mode. 45 minutes later the computer was still thinking and, though my screensaver was up, nothing was happening.

I cold-booted the computer so I could make the post.

Reaction score
What OS are you running..? Are you getting any error messages..? Are you using Dial up or broadband connection...?????

Edit: if yer unning XP then why install SP1 and not SP3

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am running Vista. I don't get any error messages, it just doesn't startup. I've left it starting up in safety mode for more than 45 minutes before re-booting. As for my problem with installing Vista SP 1, it downloads OK then during the configuration phase it reboots and gets to 18% of Stage 1 before telling me its been unsuccessful and is reverting. Even Microsoft's SPI help desk couldn't help.

Ask a Question