Windows XP Can only boot into safe mode

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a toshiba laptop running XP Pro, service pack 3. All was working fine until this morning when I tried to turn it on. There has been nothing installed since the last working instance of the laptop.

When I tried to boot the PC, there was flickering lines running through the screen, I can see the windows logo. This disappears but the ALT CTRL Del option never appears and the screen goes white.

I booted into safe mode and the laptop works fine. I tried to boot with vga mode but it dosen't work. I ran a chdsk and found no errors. I've also updated the nvida drivers but I still can't logon.

Any ideas what to try next

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you able to use System Restore to roll back a couple of days and see if that fixes things?

Reaction score
I did a system restore to 4 days before the problem started but it hasn't fixed the problem.

When the pc boots there's line's on the screen, I can go into safe mode and there's no lines or flickering. If i try boot normal I can still see the windows logo with lines flickering on the screen but now screen goes and mixture of black and white and I never get the password screen.

I also connected the laptop to an external monitor but no good

Any other ideas

Last edited:

Ask a Question