Star Wars Battlefront II (Do not buy this game)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If they have any sense, they will make the crates cosmetic only - the way they should have been to begin with.

I personally think Disney has had a word, as this is tarnishing the Star Wars brand.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/...actions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/

Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, players are finding out that they can no longer make in-game purchases with real money. EA has confirmed that it is taking that feature downto address fan concerns just as the game is about to launch worldwide tomorrow. All of this comes after multiple days of outrage from fans who are upset that EA and developer DICE have implemented an online multiplayer system that gives an advantage to people who pay money.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would be 100% not surprised if this were to be true.

Rumors are going around that Lucasfilm isn't too happy with how the Star Wars franchise is turning out ever since they handed the license over to Electronic Arts in 2013. Up to now, EA has produced a total of two titles under the Star Wars: Battlefront sub-series. Their first Star Wars: Battlefront game was released in 2015 as a reboot of the previous games. Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) was highly criticized for its lack of a single player campaign. EA's solution to keep die-hard Star Wars fans happy was to release a multitude of free expansions and paid DLC packs to add more content to the game. And then came Star Wars: Battlefront II in 2017, a sequel that received even harsher backlash because of the over aggressive loot-crate system that was implemented into the game. EA responded by temporarily eliminating microtransactions from the game. But to make matters even worse, EA closed Visceral Games, the studio was working on Star Wars: Project Ragtag, last year.

EA's relationship with Lucasfilm hangs on a thin thread right now. The gaming giant's lackluster record of releasing two games in a five year period has
allegedly forced Lucasfilm to explore other options. Ubisoft and Activision have been mentioned so far. If the rumors were true, who would you rather have working on the next Star Wars game?
https://www.techpowerup.com/241675/lucasfilm-rumored-to-ditch-ea-for-a-new-game-publisher

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, the Star Wars franchise/Disney/Lucasfilm is being indirectly tainted by all this - I wouldn't be surprised to see them moving elsewhere for future game development.

I'm not really sure which big game developers I'd like it to go to though. It's some of the mid-sized ones that seem to be the best.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I would LOVE a Star Wars RPG, and I understand that's what Visceral Games were working on (Project Ragtag). Such a shame it closed down! They apparently had the woman behind Uncharted working on it, sounds like Project Ragtag would have been fantastic.

:wall:

I'm definitely in favour of the franchise being taken away from EA. The Fallout / Skyrim fan in me would love to see a Star Wars RPG from Bethesda, but rumour has it they're working on their own space RPG called 'Starfield'... :drool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd certainly not shed a tear were EA to lose their licence/franchise, imo they've long been the scumbags of the gaming world.

Given a choice between Activision and Ubisoft I'd definitely be in favour of Ubisoft as they've only ever managed to upset me once, lol

EA's record with Star Wars games so far has been abysmal, it would be good to let a new company loose on making a Star Wars game. Activision wouldn't be much better than EA imo.

Even EA's Origin gaming client is a pain, I can never close Win 10 if I've used Origin without manually having to shut the whole Origin thing down.

Ask a Question