Star Wars Battlefront II (Do not buy this game)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good to see the community making their feelings felt, EA were once bad, then good for a while, now they be bad again.

It would appear they've locked that thread with the 44K4 downvotes. Typical dictator behaviour.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah that's only the SWBF subreddit, nothing to do with EA, they only comment now and again. It was locked by the sub's admins.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
They listened.

Hey all,

I hope you're OK with me starting a new topic again. My last post got a few replies so I wanted to be sure my follow-up wasn't buried in that thread.

You asked me provide more details on exact hero prices for launch and so we've spent the day going over the data to ensure the numbers work out. I realize there's both confusion and reservation around how these systems work, so I want to be as clear and transparent as I possibly can.

The most important thing in terms of progression is that it's fun. No one wins if it's not. You play the game, you do your best and get rewarded based on your performance. You gain credits and spend them on whatever you want. If for some reason any of that isn't fun, we need to fix it and we will. I really appreciate the candid feedback over the last couple of days and I encourage you to keep sending it our way.

These are the credit cost for all locked heroes at launch. These prices are based on a combination of open beta data, early access data and a bunch of other metrics. They're aimed to ensure all our players have something fun to play for as we launch the game, while at the same time not supposed to make you feel overwhelmed and frustrated.

• Iden Versio - 5 000 credits
  • Chewbacca, Emperor Palpatine and Leia Organa - 10 000 credits
  • Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader - 15 000 credits
I also hear we're finally at a good point to host an AMA here on Reddit in the near future, which I know you've been asking for and I've wanted to do for a long time. Stay tuned for more info really soon.

Thank you so much for showing interest in our game and I sincerely hope you'll love Battlefront II.

See you in game,

Dennis

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cqgmw/followup_on_progression/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
At least that's something - until they do it again in their next game!

Does anyone here actually spend additional money on games? I can't think of any microtransactions in games that I've made, only DLC for games I really like.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I guess they must do! I've bought a couple of little low value things in the past, never anything major and I certainly wouldn't buy loot crates.

Out of principle I won't do it anymore.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've only ever bought DLC which really should be called CLOOL (Content Left Out On Launch) and will never buy Microtransactions or Lootcrates - the very notion makes me blood boil so it does.

Ah, I recall those heady days of the early Call Of Duty Games where after launch, maps would be given away for free at periodic intervals. And the early Medal Of Honour games too, come to think of it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah, I recall those heady days of the early Call Of Duty Games where after launch, maps would be given away for free at periodic intervals. And the early Medal Of Honour games too, come to think of it.

Indeed, remember how one of the free CoD4 map packs was sponsored by Nvidia.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If you ever needed a better example of pay to win, just watch this...... :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is a significant difference in power :eek: - how much £££ (or in game time) would it cost to reach that sort of level on a few characters I wonder?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its working now? Might just be high traffic, that story is all over multiple sites and subreddits at the moment.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'd say he review and summary are spot on.

"As a huge Star Wars fan and a huge gamer it's a sad day when I see a Star Wars game that looks as amazing as this game does be hijacked by greedy suits. I am totally gutted that I still don't have a modern Star Wars game that is amazing to play. On the plus side I am proud that so many thousands of gamers have taken a stand against this bullshit, you can see EA in total panic, they are like a headless chicken at the moment. People power works and we need to enforce this, we pay their wages and we should demand better than this game delivers. Sure there will be sell outs and apologists defending this game but hopefully they will be the minority, if not then gaming is doomed.

It's not just the greedy business practice that is wrong with this game, it's the game itself, sure it's better and bigger than the 2015 SWBF but that's hardly an achievement. This game lacks any soul, the story is terrible and the combat is obscenely easy all the way to the 5 hour anticlimactic ending. Multiplayer is just a huge pew pew fest on most maps with only 2 or 3 allowing for any form of group tactics. Yes it's fun at times on those maps but it's not enough to justify the price. Space multiplayer is a good laugh, nice slick controls and amazing sounds but again it's just not enough.

I paid £65 to review this early, I got a pay wall of micro transactions as a reward, I still have not unlocked most of the hero classes but I did get 4 weapons that do twice as much damage as the weapons everyone will be getting on Friday, it's p2w garbage."

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That WAB Video is spot on, as is this one by Boogie.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well well well....

"Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress."

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update

They may have backed down for now, but you can bet they will re introduce them in some shape or form at a later date.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They may have backed down for now, but you can bet they will re introduce them in some shape or form at a later date.

I wondered about that too - does this mean that they will bump the prices up later on, or allow purchasing again. Will be interesting to look back at this thread in a couple of years time.

Let's see if they change their other new releases to match, or just this one!

Ask a Question