Star Wars Battlefront II crashes before game starts after Vista is installed?

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
[SEEMINGLY UNSOLVABLE] Star Wars Battlefront II crashes before game starts in Vista?

I recently reformatted and installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my Asus X80L Laptop, now Star Wars Battlefront II don't work properly. Install is successful, but attemping to play the game, I get "No TnL detected on your display adaptor, continue Y/N?"
If is continued the game will freeze on a blank screen for about 5 min before starting the game. It also takes around 5 min to load maps and levels.

This is not a graphics card problem as the game ran fine when Windows XP Professional was installed.

Normally in Windows XP it takes about 30 secs max to load the game and 40 secs max to load levels and maps.

Is there a setting wrong? Do I have to run the game in compatability mode?

Or will I just have to degrade back to Windows XP Pro? Looks like I will have to.

Can anyone please throw some light onto this problem?
wallbash.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you tired downloading any patches to see if this corrects the issue? Are you using the latest drivers?

Wiz

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I'll have to do that when I get home as the Internet here is the worst internet I ever used! Dial up - 28.8kbps! :eek:

Anyone know why it is fine in Windows XP then?

Graphics Card: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family with 256mb graphic RAM.
Direct X 9.0

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I'll have to do that when I get home as the Internet here is the worst internet I ever used! Dial up - 28.8kbps! :eek:

Anyone know why it is fine in Windows XP then?

Graphics Card: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family with 256mb graphic RAM.
Direct X 9.0

Hi Captain..
Your Graphics doesn't support TnL... In most games, transform and lighting calculations can be performed on the processor with acceptable performance., But as you have installed Vista, there might be the chance that the processor is not upto the same performance as it was with XP and thre for not able to perform the calculations for TnL in which case the game is now asking the graphics to do the calculations, and as your graphics doesn't support TnL, you get the message you do and that would be the reason for the laodingtime..Hope that was of help to you..

Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Looks like I'm forced to degrade back to Windows XP Pro. [Sigh]

In my opinion XP Pro is the better..Or maybe thats just because I have had bad luck with Vista

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
In my opinion, Windows XP Pro is also better, I only wanted Vista on my laptop because I already have XP Pro on my gaming PC. So I went back to XP Pro. I find Vista rather slow even with a lot of RAM.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
After looking on Intel's Graphics site, the hardware IS TnL supported.

So, I don't know what's wrong but I downgraded to Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Ask a Question