Spur of the moment purchase ... 1 camera

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Was out yesterday, Friday, and was passing by a, well known, High Street photographic shop, just had to "pop in" to see what was on offer.

Yeah, walked out with a brand new "toy" for meself. :lol:

I got a Fuji FinePix S5700, got two 1gig SD cards & 4 good rechargeable batts ... had to haggle a bit, but I got a good deal. I'm a Scot. :p

Went out today, with me sister, to a new place for us ... Mere Sands Wood ... not to far from our favorite haunt of Martin Mere.

Got my first real-life look at a Common King Fisher today ... sorry, no pic, damn thing was faster than superman ... absolute fantastic looking electric-blue bird. Boy, was we chuffed. :nod:

Saw a great verity of birds, ducks & geese ... managed to 'bag' a good shot of a pair of Great Crested Grebes (in winter plumage) ... apparently they are a resident to Mere Sands Wood. Will be going back there, oh yes.

... not bad, a bit more practice needed. :D

I'll post some more of the better pics in the gallery.

Oh, and I had the use of an electric cart, free ... an exceptionally well laid out place for wheelchair access ... :thumb:

Me sister is a member of the Wildlife Trust, one reason we sought out this place, so I joined too. Cheap as chips.

Enjoy the pics. :thumb:

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice pic, Mucks. :thumb:

I too have a Fuji and I think one of the big advantages is the batteries. AA size rechargeables but if you're really stuck you can just use simple AA non rechargeable. I've done it myself. And I've often seen my friends who have fancy Lithium type batteries being lost when their batteries are flat. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks Niv ... I'm pretty proud I got them shots as good as I did ... you ain't gonna see all the deleted pics. ;)

So far I'm still using the original, non-rechargeable, cheapies that came with the camera, taken over 300 photos, mostly practice shots, but I needed to get new rechargeable anyway ... always handy to have spares. :thumb:

Most important, I got 2 x 1gig SD cards, Sandisk. :D

Get some pics up in the Gallery. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a really good quality pic Mr Mucks :thumb:

I'm using a Nikon Coolpix S500 for my small digicam, I have just the one 1Gb Sandisk SD card.

The camera has one rechargeable battery, replacements from Jessops cost £34.00 each. I managed to get two more batteries from Hong Kong via E-Bay for £8.50 each. They don't last as long as the original Nikon battery but for that price I have enough juice on each outing to take at least 500 pictures at full res.

The camera takes 538 images at it's highest res on a 1Gb card.

I'm happy with this camera but sometimes I get really really good images like Mucks' one above and sometimes I get some quite poor quality pix. And I don't know why. I guess, like Mucks says he's going to do, I have to spend more time with it and experiment.

Good to see you have a nice camera Mucks, look forward to some more pix :)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
. had to haggle a bit, but I got a good deal. I'm a Scot. :p
I'm .25 Scottish & get my sense of humour from my Gran's side of the family.
But great pics MrMucks:thumb:

I find i've taken a few using the camera on my phone.
Not great pics but easy to use.:blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nice ducks mate , could have been a bit plumper though . :D

These new Duracells look good ,

http://www.duracell.com/precharged/

I got this charger along with 8 PowerEx batteries and an "in car charger adapter" for me Cannon and all seems to work fine . Sent from the states and was still cheaper than buying over here , mind you that was some time ago and things have changed somewhat .I liked the rejuvenating idea is why I bought it though I haven't had occassion to use it yet .

[font=arial,helvetica]The Maha PowerEx MH-C204W One Hour Worldwide charger can be used internationally without the need of a power brick. An integrated 100-240V 50/60Hz worldwide switching adapter is built into the charger and comes with an interchangeable AC cord. The MH-C204W has an integrated battery conditioner to rescue old and degraded NiMH batteries by applying high current pulses. The MH-C204W can reach a 98% charge level in the batteries when the lights turn green, without the risk of undercharging or overcharging! It has four unique charging phases: startup charge, rapid charge, top-off charge and maintenance charge. The startup charge delivers a smooth ramp-up of current when the batteries are inserted. The top-off charge is applied for two hours after the completion of the charge to ensure that batteries are topped off to their maximum capacity. The low rate pulse maintenance charge ensures that batteries are not overcharged when left in the charger for extended periods of time and are always ready to use. Finally, the microprocessor driven negative Delta V, Zero Delta V and the temperature termination system ensure complete charging.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Actually it was the techy last scentence that sold me . It sounded
dead good .

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

[/font]

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
[font=arial,helvetica]Finally, the microprocessor driven negative Delta V, Zero Delta V and the temperature termination system ensure complete charging.

Actually it was the techy last scentence that sold me . It sounded
dead good .
[/font]

Yeah ! But what does it actually mean? ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
They are lovely pics Mucks, I particularly like the one of the Canada geese (gallery) they look just as if they are in conversation :) Gosh, you were lucky to spot a kingfisher, but not surprised you didn't manage to get a pic, I watched one when taking a riverside walk and it was like a little lightning bolt, it could dart so quickly! :nod: Great to see though.

Hope you will get lots of pleasure from your new camera, it sounds just the job :thumb: :D

Ask a Question