A fun-gee day out, but not a good night

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I try and get out, with me sisters help as she has a car I don't, most weekends weather permitting.

Yesterday was no exception, but a great surprise awaited us due to the "nice" weather of rain, rain, and rain sunshining.

Mushrooms, toadstools and all manner of Fungi had sprouted at Mere Sands Woods, one of our regular haunts.

I needed me to change the way I used me camera, good fun for me. Most were sited in the darker reaches of the Wood. Only deleted about a 3rd of the pics taken. :D

You can view my outings on me Picasa site along with the fun-gee pics. [edit]only one plug per post.

DSC09872.JPG

I only handled one mushroom, was trying to break it in two, with no success, thought it may have been of the Puff Ball variety ... this was before we decided to buy the Collins gem of Mushrooms. :rolleyes:

We went for lunch, cheese butties & finger-lickin' smoky bacon crisps etc. and we bought the Mushroom book to see if we can "name" the mushrooms we had been finding.

The one, the only one I handled, is called the Smooth Earthball ... size: 3-5cm dia, 6-7cm high. Habitat: on acid soil, in woods and on heathland. Season: summer & autumn. Similar to: the Common Earthball. POISONOUS: not deadly, but can cause diarrhoea.

I can confirm they is correct, I had to visit my loo on several occasions last night, I'm rather pleased I didn't "eat" any but only licked me fingers during lunch. Washing me hands after lunch was a wee bit, shut the barn door after horse has bolted. :lol:

I will be having a light meal, sometime today, maybe, if I feel better. :D

Was a great day out!

:wave:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hope you get over it quickly, Mucks. Some fungi are wonderful to look at in detail and others are very boring.

Just shows how poisonous some of these things can be, when you get problems by just handling them. Imagine the trouble you'd get if you ate them. ;)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh dear Mucks, that sounds like a rather nasty surprise! Hope you're feeling a bit better by tonight :). At least you got a good pic!

Mushrooms are the only thing that I'm allergic too, so I avoid them ;). I don't mind the taste of them - but I feel horrendous after eating them!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Ah, the lesser spotted poo-poo mushroom :D

Interesting stuff Mr Mucks :thumb:

And he's been licking his fingers too..:D

Reaction score
Its the magic ones you wanna be lickin......i have been runig to the bog all week lol

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Makes you think... if a mushroom can have that effect by licking fingers after touching it, just imagine actually eating one! :( Hope you're feeling more settled today Mucks :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks all, had to run a couple times during the day after food, which surprised me, just goes to show how poisonous a lot of mushrooms can be.

Zed, the magic mushroom is also classed as poisonous ... effects sensory perception & has an unpleasant taste :D

TC pointed out to me this poor fellows demise :(

Ask a Question