Where I live - bootstomp style!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've taken a leaf out of Mr Bootstomp's book - namely taking pictures of where I live :D

So here's a place for everyone to show the forums what their neck of the woods is like - please feel free to post as many pics as you like (let's face it, we'll all nosy).

Me and Ian live in a place called Castlefield - it's in Manchester city centre. During the industrial revolution it was a hub of activity due to the canals -nowadays the canals are still there, and the red brick warehouses are offices and swanky apartments. Here are a few pics (taken with my phone - so nothing special!):

Geese swimming by:
attachment.php

Some boats:
attachment.php

One of the old warehouses (now offices):
attachment.php

On the White Bridge, looking at the Hilton Tower:
attachment.php

Looking along the White Bridge:
attachment.php

Our local watering hole - Dukes 92 (named after the lock next to it):
attachment.php

The lock next to the pub:
attachment.php

Railway and tram bridges:
attachment.php

The town hall:
attachment.php

The big wheel in the Triangle:
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Ooooo that all looks very familiar. Must have been past there a few times. Quite nice actually
Better than the main road drab area I live on :(

Reaction score
That's your phone camera?!

Blimey!

Mine is 4 year old Motorola 1.2mp jobbie.

Its like taking photos of white noise...;)

I love places like that. Everything has an everlasting, victorian solidarity about it, you know?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey, Manchester looks great :)

Thanx for posting the pix Bex, interesting.

I've only ever visited Manchester once, worked on a huge British Gas site near Salford and stayed in a cheap hotel nearby.

Overall, gotta admit I wasn't impressed, but I did meet a few good people. Maybe I was in the wrong part ;)

Newcastle; Liverpool; Redcar; Whitby; York on the other hand, I loved :)

Maybe I should visit Manchester again and take some time to look around instead of just working.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey great pics Bex..

Looks great where you live..:thumb: have only ever been to Manchester once to deliver a company car, so didn't get to stay and look around..

Not sure about the massive tower in the distance though, it looks like a pack of cards thats balancing precariously on its end, wouldn't wanna be living in the shadow of that, would wake up in a sweat every now and again worrying if it was gonna come down on top of me...:p

Well if I ever come up that way I'll know where to find myself a free drink now won't I...:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Yep it is - the Hilton. The floor where there is an overhang is a bar (Cloud 23), and there's a bit of glass flooring where you can look straight down! I've heard that 'fin' on the top is to stop the building whistling when it's windy :)

Flops - if you ever decide to make the trip up here we will happily show you round! :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I enjoyed your pics Bex, and as others have commented, they are so clear. The Hilton building looks enormously high, I imagine it must be visible from just about anywhere in the City. When you say "tram bridge" did they just travel through them? Or were they designed to house the trams like a garage? Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question, but it will probably be puzzling me all day if I don't :p The longboats look lovely - do people live on them, do you know?
:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Blimey, Manchester looks great :)

Thanx for posting the pix Bex, interesting.

I've only ever visited Manchester once, worked on a huge British Gas site near Salford and stayed in a cheap hotel nearby.

Overall, gotta admit I wasn't impressed, but I did meet a few good people. Maybe I was in the wrong part ;)

Newcastle; Liverpool; Redcar; Whitby; York on the other hand, I loved :)

Maybe I should visit Manchester again and take some time to look around instead of just working.

Why waste precious time . Just spend it in good ol yarkshir .

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
When you say "tram bridge" did they just travel through them? Or were they designed to house the trams like a garage? Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question, but it will probably be puzzling me all day if I don't :p

The grey bridge is what the trams run along in that particular bit of Manchester - they are not housed there. The brick bridge is the railway bridge :)

Taffycat said:
The longboats look lovely - do people live on them, do you know? :D

Yep, you get some people living on them. Lots of holiday boats around in the summer too! :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Well if I ever come up that way I'll know where to find myself a free drink now won't I...:D

Of course! The more the merrier :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Why waste precious time . Just spend it in good ol yarkshir .

I've done Yorkshire, now one wishes to expand one's horizons, one does :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Here are a few from the area where I am. Sorry, Flops but it's Yorkshire again.The photo with the snow is from last winter.
icon12.gif

Attachments

• FlowersA.jpg
    FlowersA.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Hills.JPG
    Hills.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Moors.JPG
    Moors.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Roseberry2.JPG
    Roseberry2.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 88

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Here are a few from the area where I am. Sorry, Flops but it's Yorkshire again.The photo with the snow is from last winter.
icon12.gif

Hey - I like Yorkshire, been there a few times.

I been to a Steam Railway, Big Hills, Foaming rapids, some huge stately house with peacocks that was used in some TV series or other, a village that was used to film the TV series Heartbeat,York itself, Whitby, Robin Hood bay and surrounding environs, that place with all them white balls what are early warning devices and at least two dozen pubs :D

Yorkshire is cool. And, er, rugged. Yep, that's the word - rugged.

Aye upp and ecky thump ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Nivrip - what beautiful unspoiled countryside, it looks absolutely lovely :nod:

Bex, thank you for explaining the bridges, :thumb: I got that a bit wrong didn't I :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hey - I like Yorkshire, been there a few times.

I been to a Steam Railway, Big Hills, Foaming rapids, some huge stately house with peacocks that was used in some TV series or other, a village that was used to film the TV series Heartbeat,York itself, Whitby, Robin Hood bay and surrounding environs, that place with all them white balls what are early warning devices and at least two dozen pubs :D

Yorkshire is cool. And, er, rugged. Yep, that's the word - rugged.

Aye upp and ecky thump ;)

Plenty for you to see and do in good old yarkshir then as there are 376 pubs in York never mind the rest of Gods own county .
Mind you if youd have to appreciate a drink to appreciate that fact .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Luverly pics Nivrip .
happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
Great pics, Nivrip! :) Did you take them?

Certainly did - with my trusty Fuji,and not an expensive one either. I don't pretend to be an expert photographer but I reckon if you take lots of pics then some will look quite good ( you ought to see the bad ones). ;)