Little Grebe

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If anybody is interested ... got a couple of pics of a Little Grebe today.

It popped out of the reed bed just in front of us ... by the time I got me camera ready, the little bugger was off fishing, in other words, it spent most of the time under water, it took me a few secs to find it again and snap another quick shot ... boy, they can stay under for a long time. Only got the two pics posted that were of any use. :D

Also, some more shots of the resident Great Crested Grebes ... will keep you posted on this pair, especially when the male gets his Summer plumage. :thumb:

Pretty poor weather today, even if the sun did pop his head out, not much was on the water ... the birds had the right idea, take the day off & hide.

Never got a glimpse of the of the King Fisher today, but we now know there is a resident Greater Spotted Woodpecker here as well as at Martin Mere. :D
Sorry, no pic, too damn quick for me. :p

Oh, also seen my first real close-up of a very pretty bird, a Siskin. :bow:

We saw most of the resident common garden birds ... Black bird, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Caffinch, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Robin, Reed Bunting, even a house sparrow :D

More to come ... :nod:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh well done Mucks, they are lovely photos, you must have needed a very speedy "trigger finger" to get the Little Grebe :nod:

Lovely to have seen a siskin too :thumb: they usually appear on our bird-feeders sometime during early spring, usually mingling with their chums the greenfinches :D such pretty little things aren't they?

Looks like you are getting on well with your new camera :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Oh well done Mucks, they are lovely photos, you must have needed a very speedy "trigger finger" to get the Little Grebe :nod::thumb:

Thats why they are called twitchers Taffycat .
We had a grey crane/heron , I can never remember which it is , standing on one leg at the edge of one of the new mini lakes that have appeared in the field behind me today . It was only about 50 feet away and stayed there for ages , was too wet to take pics though .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Itchy trigger fingertip aye mucks drive you Quackers :p

Nice pics Sir:nod:

Ask a Question